Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 PM
fred smith

Default centos 5.5--gnome desktop--all icons disappeared.

gang, I feel dumb having to ask this...

I've got a Centos 5.5 installation (it's not new, I've been using it for
over a year on this machine) and all of a sudden just a few minutes ago
everything on the gnome desktop disappeared. no icons, right-click doesn't
bring up a context menu. the panels are still there, though, thank goodness.

tried logging off and back on but that didn't help. I'm perusing the
centos forums for clues, and thought I should ask all of you too in
parallel.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

Fred
community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Sergey Podushkin

fred smith пишет:
> gang, I feel dumb having to ask this...
>
> I've got a Centos 5.5 installation (it's not new, I've been using it for
> over a year on this machine) and all of a sudden just a few minutes ago
> everything on the gnome desktop disappeared. no icons, right-click doesn't
> bring up a context menu. the panels are still there, though, thank goodness.
>
> tried logging off and back on but that didn't help. I'm perusing the
> centos forums for clues, and thought I should ask all of you too in
> parallel.
>
> Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Check the result of

$ gconftool-2 -R /apps/nautilus/preferences | grep show_desktop

and, if it give you "show_desktop = false", turn the show_desktop on:

$ gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop -t bool true

this should give your desktop with icons and context menus back.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:31 AM
fred smith

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 08:11:09AM +0600, Sergey Podushkin wrote:
> fred smith пишет:
> > gang, I feel dumb having to ask this...
> >
> > I've got a Centos 5.5 installation (it's not new, I've been using it for
> > over a year on this machine) and all of a sudden just a few minutes ago
> > everything on the gnome desktop disappeared. no icons, right-click doesn't
> > bring up a context menu. the panels are still there, though, thank goodness.
> >
> > tried logging off and back on but that didn't help. I'm perusing the
> > centos forums for clues, and thought I should ask all of you too in
> > parallel.
> >
> > Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred
> >
> Check the result of
>
> $ gconftool-2 -R /apps/nautilus/preferences | grep show_desktop
>
> and, if it give you "show_desktop = false", turn the show_desktop on:
>
> $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop -t bool true
>
> this should give your desktop with icons and context menus back.

Sergey:

Thanks for the info!

After attempting a log off/on as described above, and not finding much
online, I logged off again, logged on as another user and found the desktop
looked normal, so I logged off and on again as 'me' and voila, it was all
back!

No clue what happened, but I'm glad it's "fixed".

thanks again!

Fred
The Lord is like a strong tower.