Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
"Helmut Drodofsky"

Default OT: Java down

Hallo,
*
yesterday from 3 to 11 pm UTC our Java application was down. As far as I know, the server java.sun.com was not available.
*
Needs any java application direct access to sun?
*
Can I stop this hell?
*
Any idea?
*
Best regards
*
Helmut
*

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
John Doe

From: Helmut Drodofsky <drodofsky@internet-xs.de>
>yesterday from 3 to 11 pm UTC our Java application was down. As far as I know,
>the server java.sun.com was not available.
>Needs any java application direct access to sun?
>Can I stop this hell?

Shutdown your network connection and check...

JD

Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Jim Perrin

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Helmut Drodofsky
<drodofsky@internet-xs.de> wrote:

> Needs any java application direct access to sun?

Yes. Depending on the application you're using, there are reasons why
it would try to get to java.sun.com.

Foe example, in tomcat6 on rhel6 (probably the same for centos5 and
rhel 5 as well) /etc/tomcat6/web.xml contains a schemalocation
reference to http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd

If your application requires a particular schema file located on that
server, and the server goes down you could be out of luck. You can
test this pretty easily (though not quite as brutally as others have
suggested) by tinkering with iptables or DNS. Block access to
java.sun.com or route it to 127.0.0.1 and test your application again.
You could use wireshark to figure out what it's looking for, as it's
almost certain to be unencrypted http traffic.

George Orwell