FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Johan Scheepers
 
Default New to Centos

Good day,

I would like to first test and then use centos 5.5.

I downloaded centos 5.5 x86_64 live CD.

Problem...screen resolution only 800x600.

In fedora 14 it is 1024x768, same in debian squeeze and opensuse11.3.

Could there be a way to increase the resolution? in either i386 or x86_64.

Thanks
Regards
Johan
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Rudi Ahlers
 
Default New to Centos

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I would like to first test and then use centos 5.5.
>
> I downloaded centos 5.5 x86_64 live CD.
>
> Problem...screen resolution only 800x600.
>
> In fedora 14 * it is 1024x768, *same in debian squeeze and opensuse11.3.
>
> Could there be a way to increase the resolution? in either i386 or x86_64.
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Johan
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

What graphics card & monitor do you have?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Johan Scheepers
 
Default New to Centos

On 18/11/2010 20:37, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Johan Scheepers<johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
>> Good day,
>>
>> I would like to first test and then use centos 5.5.
>>
>> I downloaded centos 5.5 x86_64 live CD.
>>
>> Problem...screen resolution only 800x600.
>>
>> In fedora 14 it is 1024x768, same in debian squeeze and opensuse11.3.
>>
>> Could there be a way to increase the resolution? in either i386 or x86_64.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Regards
>> Johan
>> _______________________________________________
>> CentOS mailing list
>> CentOS@centos.org
>> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>>
>>
> What graphics card& monitor do you have?
>
>
In debian this...

johan@Johan:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)

johan@Johan:~$ xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (339x203 millimeters)

Ok, I did look into system-monitors and only 800x600 was available.
Remember this is a live CD x86_64.

Thanks
Johan

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default New to Centos

On 11/18/2010 1:21 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
>> What graphics card& monitor do you have?
>>
>>
> In debian this...
>
> johan@Johan:~$ lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)
>
> johan@Johan:~$ xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
> dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (339x203 millimeters)
>
> Ok, I did look into system-monitors and only 800x600 was available.
> Remember this is a live CD x86_64.

I think that means it wasn't able to auto-detect the monitor type. Can
you set it in system/administration/display in the hardware tab?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Johan Scheepers
 
Default New to Centos

On 18/11/2010 21:38, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 1:21 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
>>
>>> What graphics card& monitor do you have?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> In debian this...
>>
>> johan@Johan:~$ lspci | grep VGA
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
>> 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)
>>
>> johan@Johan:~$ xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
>> dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (339x203 millimeters)
>>
>> Ok, I did look into system-monitors and only 800x600 was available.
>> Remember this is a live CD x86_64.
>>
> I think that means it wasn't able to auto-detect the monitor type. Can
> you set it in system/administration/display in the hardware tab?
>
>
Ok, have to shut down debian and boot centos.
Be back.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Johan Scheepers
 
Default New to Centos

On 18/11/2010 21:38, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 1:21 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
>>
>>> What graphics card& monitor do you have?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> In debian this...
>>
>> johan@Johan:~$ lspci | grep VGA
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
>> 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)
>>
>> johan@Johan:~$ xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
>> dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (339x203 millimeters)
>>
>> Ok, I did look into system-monitors and only 800x600 was available.
>> Remember this is a live CD x86_64.
>>
> I think that means it wasn't able to auto-detect the monitor type. Can
> you set it in system/administration/display in the hardware tab?
>
>
While booting I had a closer look at the screen and saw..
unsupported sis chipset (device i/d 0671).

Looked into hardware..reverted to vesa driver. Set it to sis card and
logged out..system complained and went into non-graphics.
Went through screen options and eventualy back to graphics and vesa.

Had the same problem with debian and a list member after a lot of
suffering found a work around in the xorg.conf.
After that it works fine. the specific sis card seem to be problemic in
some OS's.
suse and fedora seem to have no problem.
Fedora..could not find a xorg.conf file?. Maybe copy it.

If centos resolution problem be not fixable I will have to pass. Would
be a pitty.

I really do appreciate your time spend to solve this.
Regards
Johan

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default New to Centos

Johan Scheepers a écrit :

>
> I really do appreciate your time spend to solve this.

Manual configuration always works, when everything else failed :

# init 3
# cd /etc/X11
# mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig
# cd
# X -configure
# mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Give it a try :

# startx

See if you get something, and then we'll see for the next steps.

Cheers,

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Johan Scheepers
 
Default New to Centos

On 18/11/2010 23:22, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Johan Scheepers a écrit :
>
>
>> I really do appreciate your time spend to solve this.
>>
> Manual configuration always works, when everything else failed :
>
> # init 3
> # cd /etc/X11
> # mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig
> # cd
> # X -configure
> # mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Give it a try :
>
> # startx
>
> See if you get something, and then we'll see for the next steps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki
> _
the command init 3 not found in command line ...user or root.

Complain that X is still running with

X -configure

This is new to me and maybe I am doing something wrong

Thanks
Johan


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
John Doe
 
Default New to Centos

From: Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net>

> On 18/11/2010 23:22, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > Manual configuration always works, when everything else failed :
> > # init 3
> > # cd /etc/X11
> > # mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig
> > # cd
> > # X -configure
> > # mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > Give it a try :
> > # startx
> the command init 3 not found in command line ...user or root.
> Complain that X is still running with

Be sure to 'su -' and not just 'su'...
If you need to find a file, use: 'locate filename'.

JD



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Johan Scheepers
 
Default New to Centos

On 19/11/2010 12:00, John Doe wrote:
> From: Johan Scheepers<johansche@telkomsa.net>
>
>
>> On 18/11/2010 23:22, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>>
>>> Manual configuration always works, when everything else failed :
>>> # init 3
>>> # cd /etc/X11
>>> # mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig
>>> # cd
>>> # X -configure
>>> # mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>> Give it a try :
>>> # startx
>>>
>> the command init 3 not found in command line ...user or root.
>> Complain that X is still running with
>>
> Be sure to 'su -' and not just 'su'...
> If you need to find a file, use: 'locate filename'.
>
> JD
>
>
>
The little dash made the difference. I did not know about it.

Sorry.. the resolution stays at 800x600 and option lower.

Could we try something else
Thanks
Johan
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org