Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Centos podcast on FLOSS weekly

If you've ever wondered what Karanbir Singh looks like, check out this
week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss. I'm only partway
through the audio version (will finish on the drive home) and haven't
heard anything that would be surprising to people already using Centos
yet but it's a great presentation and something to recommend to people
who aren't familiar with the project.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Jorge Fábregas

On Thursday 18 November 2010 12:18:16 Les Mikesell wrote:
> check out this week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss

Hey thanks for the tip. I just finished watching it (very interesting
interview).

--
Jorge

Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Eduardo Grosclaude

2010/11/18 Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas@gmail.com>:
> On Thursday 18 November 2010 12:18:16 Les Mikesell wrote:
>> *check out this week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss
>
> Hey thanks for the tip. I just finished watching it (very interesting
> interview).

Agree, and I feel compelled to thank KB not only for his technical
work but also for devoting his time and patience (and face!) to
media-fueling the general attention given to the CentOS project.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue

Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 AM
John Hinton

On 11/18/2010 9:15 PM, Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:
> 2010/11/18 Jorge Fábregas<jorge.fabregas@gmail.com>:
>> On Thursday 18 November 2010 12:18:16 Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> check out this week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss
>> Hey thanks for the tip. I just finished watching it (very interesting
>> interview).
> Agree, and I feel compelled to thank KB not only for his technical
> work but also for devoting his time and patience (and face!) to
> media-fueling the general attention given to the CentOS project.

Hey KB... you look and sound just like you type!

Really, it's a thanks to all the 'core' team in particular and all those
others helping with the project and we also need to mention all those
acting as mirrors and ....... gee... suddenly I feel like someone trying
to not forget somebody while accepting an Oscar or something. I'd like
to thank my parents for raising a smart kid who knew to use only the
best OS... I'd like to thank.... LOL

Now if I can just figure out if it is pronounced sen-tose, sen-tas or
what. Sounded more like sen-tos from KB and sen-tas from both
interviewers. Either way, the interview was actually rather
invigorating. Now if you guys would just quit hacking my websites.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:05:14 -0400
Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> On Thursday 18 November 2010 12:18:16 Les Mikesell wrote:
> > check out this week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss
>
> Hey thanks for the tip. I just finished watching it (very interesting
> interview).

Great program!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Behalf
>Of Les Mikesell
>Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:18 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: [CentOS] Centos podcast on FLOSS weekly
>
>If you've ever wondered what Karanbir Singh looks like, check out this
>week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss. I'm only partway
>through the audio version (will finish on the drive home) and haven't
>heard anything that would be surprising to people already using Centos
>yet but it's a great presentation and something to recommend to people
>who aren't familiar with the project.

Karanbir rocks! 8-D

--
/Sorin

Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/19/2010 04:26 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> Hey KB... you look and sound just like you type!

Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing

> Really, it's a thanks to all the 'core' team in particular and all those
> others helping with the project and we also need to mention all those
> acting as mirrors and ....... gee... suddenly I feel like someone trying
> to not forget somebody while accepting an Oscar or something. I'd like
> to thank my parents for raising a smart kid who knew to use only the
> best OS... I'd like to thank.... LOL

Absolutely, sometimes its easy to forget the large number of people who
contribute in many different ways to make this whole ecosystem work.
Starting from the upstream developers on kernel.org through to the Red
Hat teams and the CentOS builders, community 'activists', the mirror
network, the infra team, the users, the many people who help with
bugs.centos.org and wiki.centos.org. Thanks to everyone for coming
together and making this work for such a large number of people.
Sometimes pushing 25+ hrs/week on CentOS - over and above the 40 hrs at
DayJob work gets hard to self-justify, but when you think about the
impact that this has and on how large an audience it reaches, somehow
things seem worthwhile.

It would still be quite nice to see a lot more people get involved, get
active and join the regular-corps.

> Now if I can just figure out if it is pronounced sen-tose, sen-tas or
> what. Sounded more like sen-tos from KB and sen-tas from both
> interviewers. Either way, the interview was actually rather

Thanks! and if there are any questions or anything specific that anyone
wants to know more about, feel free to ask!

> invigorating. Now if you guys would just quit hacking my websites.

Stop hacking your website ? why would we want to do that!

- KB

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Felt the same thing too. Eerie...

Anyway, Karanbir, you mentioned in the podcast that some users revert from
RHEL to CentOS, and that it was relatively easy to do with only some three
packages or something like that.

Would you mind elaborating on that?

Would it be as "easy" as to follow eg
http://fixlinux.com/2006/04/11/migrate-rhel-to-centos/, or is there an even
simpler way to do it?

Thanks.
--
/Sorin

Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Rob Kampen

Jorge Fábregas wrote:

On Thursday 18 November 2010 12:18:16 Les Mikesell wrote:

check out this week's (142) video podcast at http://twit.tv/floss

Hey thanks for the tip. I just finished watching it (very interesting
interview).

Great program!

+1 - well balanced views well presented - now I remember why I use CentOS!!
Great work by a great team - Thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
John Hinton

On 11/19/2010 7:45 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 04:26 AM, John Hinton wrote:
>> Hey KB... you look and sound just like you type!
> Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing

Well, being a heterosexual male... I don't think I can comment further
as I'm not 'qualified'. LOL!!!

A bit of my history. I was looking at Debian when RedHat ended my
subscription method, which was quite reasonable and adopted the much
higher rate. Then Whitebox came along and I quickly jumped to that. I
cyber-met Johnny Hughes over there. I found CentOS at about the time it
was forming and asked Johnny about it and switched to CentOS during that
time when the downloads got pounded with each new minor version upgrade.
So, I've been hanging out here for a while. That said, there is one
thing that I have somehow known, but became crystal clear in that
interview. The 'mindset' of the core team is phenomenal. The maturity
level is actually astounding!

I have seen some come into this list and 'go off' on a member of the
core team, not knowing who they were talking to. It seems that in each
case, any of you could have responded likewise. But, I have never known
that to happen (or at least not in a kind or proper manner).

We are 'all' obviously very much indebted to your long hours of hard
work. And as humans, you must at least have some feeling of being owed
or whatever you want to call that. But yet, always your tempers are put
at bay and what comes forth is 'always' only positive for the entire
project. Now, I don't know how in words to state my respect for that...
and the fact that it seems to be the whole core team. You must have had
lengthy discussions to all vow to such an attitude. Perhaps the most
commendable portion of the entire project.