Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Lanny Marcus

Default DNS update system-config-network GUI

Box is fully updated CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). DHCP is from the ADSL modem
192.168.1.1. After I update the DNS settings and restart the network,
the DNS changes do not hold. I have tried using this GUI, as a regular
user, after giving the root password, and, also, logged in as the root
user.

When I begin, the Primary DNS is shown as 192.168.1.1 the IP of the
ADSL modem. I move that IP to the Tertiary DNS and insert the Primary
and Secondary DNS IP's I want to use. Then, I save the file, quit, and
restart the network (service network restart). I see messages that the
file has been saved and suggesting that I restart the network or the
box.

The DNS I want to use is that of OpenDNS.com and I saw it work,
briefly.Then,it stops working and when I launch the
system-config-network GUI again, I see it has reverted to the
original configuration, with only the Primary DNS of 192.168.1.1 (the
ADSL modem) shown.

Questions: The "DNS Search Path" is blank. Is there something I should
insert there?

If it appears that I am using the system-config-network GUI properly,
what configuration file can I modify, to make these DNS changes hold
permanently?

TIA! Lanny
http://www.magazines-magazine.com/

Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Phil Savoie

On 11/18/2010 07:09 AM, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Box is fully updated CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). DHCP is from the ADSL modem
> 192.168.1.1. After I update the DNS settings and restart the network,
> the DNS changes do not hold. I have tried using this GUI, as a regular
> user, after giving the root password, and, also, logged in as the root
> user.
>
> When I begin, the Primary DNS is shown as 192.168.1.1 the IP of the
> ADSL modem. I move that IP to the Tertiary DNS and insert the Primary
> and Secondary DNS IP's I want to use. Then, I save the file, quit, and
> restart the network (service network restart). I see messages that the
> file has been saved and suggesting that I restart the network or the
> box.
>
> The DNS I want to use is that of OpenDNS.com and I saw it work,
> briefly.Then,it stops working and when I launch the
> system-config-network GUI again, I see it has reverted to the
> original configuration, with only the Primary DNS of 192.168.1.1 (the
> ADSL modem) shown.
>
> Questions: The "DNS Search Path" is blank. Is there something I should
> insert there?
>
> If it appears that I am using the system-config-network GUI properly,
> what configuration file can I modify, to make these DNS changes hold
> permanently?
>
> TIA! Lanny
> http://www.magazines-magazine.com/

Hi Lanny,

What if you manually edited resolv.conf and hard coded the dns info you
want to use and in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
add "PEERDNS=NO" without the quotes. Restart network service or
ifdown/up eth0.

May help.

Phil

Old 11-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Robert Spangler

On Thursday 18 November 2010 07:09, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> Box is fully updated CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). DHCP is from the ADSL modem
> 192.168.1.1. After I update the DNS settings and restart the network,
> the DNS changes do not hold. I have tried using this GUI, as a regular
> user, after giving the root password, and, also, logged in as the root
> user.

DHCP will always over write the resolv.conf file when started.

> When I begin, the Primary DNS is shown as 192.168.1.1 the IP of the
> ADSL modem. I move that IP to the Tertiary DNS and insert the Primary
> and Secondary DNS IP's I want to use. Then, I save the file, quit, and
> restart the network (service network restart). I see messages that the
> file has been saved and suggesting that I restart the network or the
> box.

You don't have to restart the network once you have edited resolv.conf file.
This file is probed every time you use DNS so once you have changed and saved
it your changes will take effect.

> The DNS I want to use is that of OpenDNS.com and I saw it work,
> briefly.Then,it stops working and when I launch the
> system-config-network GUI again, I see it has reverted to the
> original configuration, with only the Primary DNS of 192.168.1.1 (the
> ADSL modem) shown.

That is because of what I first posted, DHCP overwrites the resolv.conf file.

> Questions: The "DNS Search Path" is blank. Is there something I should
> insert there?

Not sure I do not use GUI programs to configure my system.

> If it appears that I am using the system-config-network GUI properly,
> what configuration file can I modify, to make these DNS changes hold
> permanently?

As long as you are using DHCP you are going to have this issue. What I can
suggest is the following in preferred order;

1. Edit the DHCP server to give out the DNS Server you want to use.

2. Buy a Cisco/Linksys Router/Switch and place that between the ADSL and your
machine and set it up to give out the DNS servers you want to use.

3. Create a file myresolv.conf with the setup the way you want and then at the
end of rclocal put in a line to copy myresolv.conf to resolv.conf.

I am sure there are other ways of doing this but if this is a laptop then you
really don't want to make any changes to anything but the DHCP Server as when
you move from location to location you could prevent your laptop from
functioning properly.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://counter.li.org/

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
John Hodrien

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Robert Spangler wrote:

> DHCP will always over write the resolv.conf file when started.

Importantly, no. PEERDNS=no is designed for exactly this purpose.

jh

Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Robert Spangler

On Thursday 18 November 2010 12:25, John Hodrien wrote:

> > DHCP will always over write the resolv.conf file when started.
>
> Importantly, no. PEERDNS=no is designed for exactly this purpose.

Thnx for the information and setting me straight.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://counter.li.org/

Old 11-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 07:09 AM, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> Box is fully updated CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). DHCP is from the ADSL modem
>> 192.168.1.1. After I update the DNS settings and restart the network,
>> the DNS changes do not hold. I have tried using this GUI, as a regular
>> user, after giving the root password, and, also, logged in as the root
>> user.

Thanks to Phil and everyone else who replied to this! Sorry for the
delay in my response. The house was hit by Lightning again (2X in 27
days, nothing before, in 6 1/2 years). Online again. :-)

I will try what has been suggested here and (hopefully) report back
that I solved the problem.

The ADSL Modem is the DHCP server. I have an old Linksys
Router/Switch working as a Switch, to share the Internet. Both are set
to the OpenDNS IP addresses.

This box is dual boot (WinXP and CentOS) and the DNS changes held in
WinXP, so this is a matter of getting it configured properly,
manually, in the config file and not with the GUI... :-)

Again, my thanks for each of you, for sharing your expertise!