Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Robert Heller

Default something chmod'ing /dev/null

> it looks like one of the recent updates will sometimes chmod /dev/null
> to 600. out of 20 machines i've updated, 3 of them had the odd
> /dev/null perms afterwards. i haven't tried to identify what it doing
> it yet, but wanted to give a heads up to others that might start seeing
> weird behavior.

Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules. My copy has the line:

KERNEL=="null", MODE="0666", OPTIONS="last_rule"

You haven't managed to mess with this rule?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Joe Pruett

On 11/17/2010 10:35 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> it looks like one of the recent updates will sometimes chmod /dev/null
>> to 600. out of 20 machines i've updated, 3 of them had the odd
>> /dev/null perms afterwards. i haven't tried to identify what it doing
>> it yet, but wanted to give a heads up to others that might start seeing
>> weird behavior.
> Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules. My copy has the line:
>
> KERNEL=="null", MODE="0666", OPTIONS="last_rule"
>
> You haven't managed to mess with this rule?
no changes to udev rules. and this happens immediately after the update
is run, no reboot required. what is weird is that the config on the
systems i run are pretty close to each other, so why only a few got hit
by this is odd. i had one happen yesterday and thought i had just done
something stupid, but then more popped up today immediately after doing
updates, so that is why the warning.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
JohnS

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 10:45 -0800, Joe Pruett wrote:

> On 11/17/2010 10:35 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> >> it looks like one of the recent updates will sometimes chmod /dev/null
> >> to 600. out of 20 machines i've updated, 3 of them had the odd
> >> /dev/null perms afterwards. i haven't tried to identify what it doing
> >> it yet, but wanted to give a heads up to others that might start seeing
> >> weird behavior.
> > Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules. My copy has the line:
> >
> > KERNEL=="null", MODE="0666", OPTIONS="last_rule"
> >
> > You haven't managed to mess with this rule?
> no changes to udev rules. and this happens immediately after the update
> is run, no reboot required. what is weird is that the config on the
> systems i run are pretty close to each other, so why only a few got hit
> by this is odd. i had one happen yesterday and thought i had just done
> something stupid, but then more popped up today immediately after doing
> updates, so that is why the warning.
----
Ok now for some work... Gather up a list of your RPMs you updated and
well check them all for /dev/null changes for te culprit.

[ethan@midnight ~]$ rpm -q --scripts kernel-rt
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel-rt --banner "EM2Grid Enterprise
Linux (realtime)" --mkinitrd --depmod --install 2.6.24.7-149.el5rt ||
exit $?
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --rminitrd --rmmoddep --remove 2.6.24.7-149.el5rt
|| exit $?
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel-rt --banner "EM2Grid Enterprise
Linux (realtime)" --mkinitrd --depmod --install 2.6.24.7-161.el5rt ||
exit $?
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --rminitrd --rmmoddep --remove 2.6.24.7-161.el5rt
|| exit $?

John

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM
ken

And if you updated solely through yum, /var/log/yum.log is a
time-stamped list. It's unfortunate that /var/log/rpmpkgs doesn't have
the same format.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

ken wrote:
> And if you updated solely through yum, /var/log/yum.log is a
> time-stamped list. It's unfortunate that /var/log/rpmpkgs doesn't have
> the same format.

you can install logrpminstalls, which is available in rpmforge.
It also has the year in the timestamp, which yum.log lacked last time I
looked.
Very useful.

[nthierry@tryo ~]$ rpm -q logrpminstalls
logrpminstalls-1.0-1.2.el5.rf.x86_64

[nthierry@tryo ~]$ rpm -qi logrpminstalls | tail -n5
Description :
This script makes a log file /var/log/rpminstalls which contains
timestamps of every rpm which get installed. It's executed by cron every
day. The logfile contains lines like:
timestamp name-version-release