Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Veiko Kukk

Default Snag installing CentOS in a VirtualBox VM

On 17/11/10 11:36, Mark wrote:
> I spent most of the evening trying to boot a new install of CentOS in a
> VirtualBox VM. The VM recognizes the install DVD, runs it, asks for me
> to boot it and I type in <return> (or any number of other combinations,
> all of which fail in exactly the same way) and it continues to run up to
> the point shown in the attached screenshot.

I know this error. Workaround is to enable IO APIC in the virtual
machine configuration.

--
Veiko

Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Mark

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Veiko Kukk <veiko.kukk@krediidipank.ee> wrote:
> On 17/11/10 11:36, Mark wrote:
>> I spent most of the evening trying to boot a new install of CentOS in a
>> VirtualBox VM. *The VM recognizes the install DVD, runs it, asks for me
>> to boot it and I type in <return> (or any number of other combinations,
>> all of which fail in exactly the same way) and it continues to run up to
>> the point shown in the attached screenshot.
>
> I know this error. Workaround is to enable IO APIC in the virtual
> machine configuration.

That was it - thanks.

Funny, though, my WinXP VB VM works fine without it. Seems like VB
should have some intelligent defaults built in since it already
"needs" to know what OS one is installing, but that's probably better
aimed at a VB discussion list....