Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Mark

Default Snag installing CentOS in a VirtualBox VM

I spent most of the evening trying to boot a new install of CentOS in a VirtualBox VM.* The VM recognizes the install DVD, runs it, asks for me to boot it and
I type in <return> (or any number of other combinations, all of
which fail in exactly the same way) and it continues to run up to the
point shown in the attached screenshot.

I've tried numerous different combinations of device alternatives, even turned off the virtual NIC, and no joy.* I tried marking it as a Red Hat Linux and as Other Linux - same results.

I know this isn't a VB forum, but I'm just wondering....

Thanks.

Mark

Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Greg Bailey

Mark wrote:
> I spent most of the evening trying to boot a new install of CentOS in
> a VirtualBox VM. The VM recognizes the install DVD, runs it, asks for
> me to boot it and I type in <return> (or any number of other
> combinations, all of which fail in exactly the same way) and it
> continues to run up to the point shown in the attached screenshot.
>
> I've tried numerous different combinations of device alternatives,
> even turned off the virtual NIC, and no joy. I tried marking it as a
> Red Hat Linux and as Other Linux - same results.

The only problem I've had running stuff on VirtualBox is that you have
to manually enable PAE if you're booting a kernel that uses it. What
architecture are you running? How much memory do you have assigned to
the VM?

-Greg