Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Dick Roth

Default How to stop automount

I just put a USB hard drive into service, but find that unless the drive
is connected to my PC the machine won't boot and drops to a shell.
Below is the line I added to fstab. I thought that the option "noauto"
would prevent the machine from trying to mount the drive

/dev/sdb /usbdrive ext3 user,noauto,rw 0 2

What am I doing wrong? Any advice is welcome.

Dick

--
Yes indeed...the Hokey Pokey *is* what its all about!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Dick,

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:52 -0500, Dick Roth wrote:
> /dev/sdb /usbdrive ext3 user,noauto,rw 0 2

The last entry is the fsck order used at boot. Setting it to 2 probably
prompts the system to check it.

Anyway, you shouldn't need to add explicit entries to fstab to mount usb
drives. They should get auto mounted when you plug them in (I think the
autofs and haldaemon services are required to run for this to happen).

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Keith Roberts

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> From: Leonard den Ottolander <leonard@den.ottolander.nl>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] How to stop automount
>
> Hello Dick,
>
> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:52 -0500, Dick Roth wrote:
>> /dev/sdb /usbdrive ext3 user,noauto,rw 0 2
>
> The last entry is the fsck order used at boot. Setting it to 2 probably
> prompts the system to check it.
>
> Anyway, you shouldn't need to add explicit entries to fstab to mount usb
> drives. They should get auto mounted when you plug them in (I think the
> autofs and haldaemon services are required to run for this to happen).
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.

Also, if you add a partition label to the USB drive, HAL
should then create a mount point of the same name, under
/media/PartLabel.

Keith

in practice they are not.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Keith, Dick,

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 11:13 +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Also, if you add a partition label to the USB drive, HAL
> should then create a mount point of the same name, under
> /media/PartLabel.

Yes, indeed. Automount only works if the drive or partitions on it have
a label. Apparently HAL is not smart enough to create a random mount
point if the device/partion is unlabeled.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
John Hodrien

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> Hello Keith, Dick,
>
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 11:13 +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Also, if you add a partition label to the USB drive, HAL
>> should then create a mount point of the same name, under
>> /media/PartLabel.
>
> Yes, indeed. Automount only works if the drive or partitions on it have
> a label. Apparently HAL is not smart enough to create a random mount
> point if the device/partion is unlabeled.

Really? I thought you got /media/disk in that case.

jh

Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 05:52, Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net> wrote:
> I just put a USB hard drive into service, but find that unless the drive
> is connected to my PC the machine won't boot and drops to a shell.
> Below is the line I added to fstab. *I thought that the option "noauto"
> would prevent the machine from trying to mount the drive
>
> /dev/sdb * * * * * * /usbdrive * * * * * ext3 * *user,noauto,rw *0 2
>
> What am I doing wrong? *Any advice is welcome.

What is on the drive? If it's something critica, such as your /home or
/etc directory, then of course the system won't make it to runlevel 5
without it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Keith Roberts

I just put a USB hard drive into service, but find that unless the drive
is connected to my PC the machine won't boot and drops to a shell.
Below is the line I added to fstab. *I thought that the option "noauto"
would prevent the machine from trying to mount the drive

/dev/sdb * * * * * * /usbdrive * * * * * ext3 * *user,noauto,rw *0 2

What am I doing wrong? *Any advice is welcome.

What is on the drive? If it's something critica, such as your /home or
/etc directory, then of course the system won't make it to runlevel 5
without it.

Also bear in mine the boot order in your machines BIOS
settings.

Keith

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Todd Denniston

Leonard den Ottolander wrote, On 11/17/2010 03:45 AM:
> Hello Dick,
>
> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:52 -0500, Dick Roth wrote:
>> /dev/sdb /usbdrive ext3 user,noauto,rw 0 2
>
> The last entry is the fsck order used at boot. Setting it to 2 probably
> prompts the system to check it.
>
> Anyway, you shouldn't need to add explicit entries to fstab to mount usb
> drives. They should get auto mounted when you plug them in (I think the
> autofs and haldaemon services are required to run for this to happen).

haldaemon yes
autofs no

The auto-mounting of removable media on the local machine now happens as an interaction between hal
and your *windowing_environment*.

i.e. in with gnome I, as a normal user, have to go to
Start(chaos symbol) -> System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and media
Which brings up a window titled "Removable Drives and Media Preferences"
and un-check the "Mount removable media when inserted" and the "Burn a CD or DVD when a blank disk
is inserted" so that I can work with rewritable CD/DVD media the way I want.

--
Todd Denniston

Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Keith Roberts

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Dick Roth wrote:

> To: CentOS List <centos@centos.org>
> From: Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net>
> Subject: [CentOS] How to stop automount
>
> I just put a USB hard drive into service, but find that unless the drive
> is connected to my PC the machine won't boot and drops to a shell.
> Below is the line I added to fstab. I thought that the option "noauto"
> would prevent the machine from trying to mount the drive
>
> /dev/sdb /usbdrive ext3 user,noauto,rw 0 2
>
> What am I doing wrong? Any advice is welcome.
>
> Dick

We seem to be talking about 2 different uses for the USB
drive.

Do you want to boot a Linux system from the USB stick, or do
you want to mount the USB drive after the system is up?

Kind Regards,

Keith

Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello John,

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 12:04 +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> > Yes, indeed. Automount only works if the drive or partitions on it have
> > a label. Apparently HAL is not smart enough to create a random mount
> > point if the device/partion is unlabeled.
>
> Really? I thought you got /media/disk in that case.

Strange. I guess my memory is playing tricks on me. I seemed to remember
I recently had an issue where an USB stick wouldn't auto mount and I
concluded the fact that it was unlabeled was the cause.

But trying to mount an USB drive with unlabeled partitions on it indeed
mounts them as /media/disk, /media/disk-1 etc. Sorry for the
misinformation.

Regards,
Leonard.