Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Dick Roth

Default How to stop automount

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Dick Roth wrote:
>
>> To: CentOS List<centos@centos.org>
>> From: Dick Roth<raroth7@comcast.net>
>> Subject: [CentOS] How to stop automount
>>
>> I just put a USB hard drive into service, but find that unless the drive
>> is connected to my PC the machine won't boot and drops to a shell.
>> Below is the line I added to fstab. I thought that the option "noauto"
>> would prevent the machine from trying to mount the drive
>>
>> /dev/sdb /usbdrive ext3 user,noauto,rw 0 2
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? Any advice is welcome.
>>
>> Dick
>
> We seem to be talking about 2 different uses for the USB
> drive.
>
> Do you want to boot a Linux system from the USB stick, or do
> you want to mount the USB drive after the system is up?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Keith

Folks, thank you very much for the advice. I am using the disk for
system backup and then putting it in a safe. It does not have to boot
the system. I did find that changing the last element of the line in
fstab from 2 to 0 cured my immediate problem: the machine now boots
properly without the drive physically attached.

Again, thanks to all. What a great community!

ttfn,
Dick

--
Yes indeed...the Hokey Pokey *is* what its all about!