Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
James Bensley

Default CENTOS 5 (X86 32 bits) only support 16 Gb RAM???

Doh! *facepalm*, PAE of course, read about it but not something I have
ever used ;p

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
mcclnx mcc

I think I did not say clearly. It is NOT application can use 4GB MAX. What I say is HARDWARE(server) HAVE 64gb ram OR 128 gb ram but O.S. only understand 16 GB.

--- 10/11/16 (二),aurfalien@gmail.com <aurfalien@gmail.com> 寫道:

Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Miguel Medalha

> I think I did not say clearly. It is NOT application can use 4GB MAX. What I say is HARDWARE(server) HAVE 64gb ram OR 128 gb ram but O.S. only understand 16 GB.

That was clear from the beggining.

With that amount of RAM you should really use a 64 bit OS. Otherwise,
you will be doing a disservice to yourself...

Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Pasi Krkkinen

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:14:01PM -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
> Quoting James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:
>
> > Eh? How can you have 16GBs on a 32bit kernel?
>
> You can have up to 64GB using PAE
> <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension>.

Yeah, but in reality you can't run 64GB 32bit PAE kernel.
All the lowmem would be used for page structs, and the system wouldn't be usable.

16GB PAE 32bit system still has some lowmem available..

-- Pasi

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Ross Walker

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Pasi Krkkinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:14:01PM -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
>> Quoting James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > Eh? How can you have 16GBs on a 32bit kernel?
>>
>> You can have up to 64GB using PAE
>> <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension>.
>>

> Yeah, but in reality you can't run 64GB 32bit PAE kernel.
> All the lowmem would be used for page structs, and the system wouldn't be usable.
>
> 16GB PAE 32bit system still has some lowmem available..

I think CentOS 4 had a PAE kernel called hugemem that had a 2048/2048 address
space that allowed for up to 64GB. That was done away with in 5 I
believe in favor
of going 64-bit if you have more then 16GB, even if you plan on using
32-bit apps.

-Ross