Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
mcclnx mcc

Default CENTOS 5 (X86 32 bits) only support 16 Gb RAM???

I would like confirm one thing. Based on what I saw Redhat document before, look like CENTOS 5 (X86, 32 bits) only support 16 GB RAM.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
James Bensley

Eh? How can you have 16GBs on a 32bit kernel?

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 PM
"James A. Peltier"

| Eh? How can you have 16GBs on a 32bit kernel?
|
| --
| Regards,
| James.
|
| http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/
|
| There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
| Vigesimal, and J others...?

PAE kernel supports 48-bit addresses available on modern Intel CPUs

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director

Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:

> Eh? How can you have 16GBs on a 32bit kernel?

You can have up to 64GB using PAE
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension>.

Barry

Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Well, not knowing much about it as I use 64 bit to address more then
4GB which is the mathematical max a 32 bit OS can address, perhaps
they are using PAE to address 16GB?

But why would the poster be surprised at even 4GB max?

- aurf

Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting mcclnx mcc <mcclnx@yahoo.com.tw>:

> I would like confirm one thing. Based on what I saw Redhat document before,
> look like CENTOS 5 (X86, 32 bits) only support 16 GB RAM.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes. I believe if you have more than 16 GB of RAM then it is recommended to use
x86_64.

Barry

Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Don't forget your 32 bit apps which most certainly are stuck at 4GB
regardless of PAE or not.

Actually, most 32 bit apps I've used address only up to 2GB.

Hence why you should really go for a 64 bit kernel.

- aurf