Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Robert Heller

Default Centos 6 installation memory requirements

> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > Will (does) Centos 6 require 512Mb of memory for the GUI install like
> > FC14 or the lower requirement of FC13?
> >
> > My ASUS EE 700 has ~490Mb of memory (vidoe steals some from the 512Mb
> > base) and FC14 switches to text install and does not install any GUI,
> > leaving the boot in test mode.
> <snip>
> I will *not* make comments about how an install isn't running a game
> engine, and so *ought* to be able to run in an order of magnitude less
> memory, except for bloated, objectionably oriented programming....

X11 installer == game engine? I never use the GUI installer. It is
quicker and easier to use the text/console based installer.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Digimer

> Will (does) Centos 6 require 512Mb of memory for the GUI install like
> FC14 or the lower requirement of FC13?
>
> My ASUS EE 700 has ~490Mb of memory (vidoe steals some from the 512Mb
> base) and FC14 switches to text install and does not install any GUI,
> leaving the boot in test mode.
>
> I recall a message earlier that 6 is based off of 14, but not the final
> Anaconda, thus my question.
>
> It would be NICE if the install can work with at least 384Mb of memory,
> as this is the recommended minimum for FC14 so I would think it is the
> miniumum for RHEL/Centos 6.
>
> I am seeing FC leave more older hardware behind and with its short
> cycles and 'currentness' of apps for RHEL 6, I am looking at moving some
> of my desktops back from FC to Centos. FC13 may be the last FC for some
> of them...

RHEL 6 uses the 2.6.32 kernel (a-la F12), so I should expect it's
minimum requirements to be similar to F12. I've not tried such a paired
down install though, so I can't say for sure.

Perhaps you could craft a thinned-down kickstart installer that includes
Gnome/KDE? Then, if you don't have enough memory, you can start parring
down packages post-install until you can fire up the GUI?

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Robert Moskowitz

On 11/16/2010 10:22 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Will (does) Centos 6 require 512Mb of memory for the GUI install like
>> FC14 or the lower requirement of FC13?
>>
>> My ASUS EE 700 has ~490Mb of memory (vidoe steals some from the 512Mb
>> base) and FC14 switches to text install and does not install any GUI,
>> leaving the boot in test mode.
>>
> <snip>
> I will *not* make comments about how an install isn't running a game
> engine, and so *ought* to be able to run in an order of magnitude less
> memory, except for bloated, objectionably oriented programming....

I TOTALLY do not get your point.

If you want the advanced Disk Druid features to work with LVM
partitions, it seems you need the GUI version. That is pretty much the
driver for me in many of my installs.

I SUPPOSE I can start playing with kickstart to either create the
partitions as I want (tried that some years ago and always messed up
something), or play with kickstart so it will start X11 even though
there is on 480Mb of memory.

For servers, after the install, I set inittab to 3 and if I need a GUI
to manage the server, I use VNC over SSH so I like to have gnome there
for the couple times a year I use it (via VNC).

And my desktops that run FC or Centos have NO games on them. These are
work systems. Even the family computers (XP or FC) do not have any
games. If the kids want games they go over to their friends and play
outside or with game boards where they have real interaction.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Robert Heller wrote:
> wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> > Will (does) Centos 6 require 512Mb of memory for the GUI install like
>> > FC14 or the lower requirement of FC13?
>> >
>> > My ASUS EE 700 has ~490Mb of memory (vidoe steals some from the 512Mb
>> > base) and FC14 switches to text install and does not install any GUI,
>> > leaving the boot in test mode.
>> <snip>
>> I will *not* make comments about how an install isn't running a game
>> engine, and so *ought* to be able to run in an order of magnitude less
>> memory, except for bloated, objectionably oriented programming....
>
> X11 installer == game engine? I never use the GUI installer. It is
> quicker and easier to use the text/console based installer.

Same here. I can't see how Enhanced Pictures and colors make your
"installation experience" so much better....

mark "an experience is when I pick you up by your lapels and
slam you against the wall for calling browsing an
'experience'"

Old 11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:57:30AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> X11 installer == game engine? I never use the GUI installer. It is
> quicker and easier to use the text/console based installer.

Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
simplified" Whoever thought up that wording probably thought up Windows
Genuine Advantage.

Lemme know how it goes trying to use it on an unpartitioned drive if you
decide you don't want defaults.
(The snideness isn't aimed at you--just as Mark mentioned, more like
Windows all the time. All systems add bloat, the trouble is that RH
seems to be deprecating more and more CLI configs.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Old reliable? Yeah, great. There's a sexy
nickname.
Buffy: Well, I didn't mean it as...
Willow: No, it's fine, I'm Old Reliable.
Xander: She just means, you know, the geyser. You're like a
geyser of fun that goes off at regular intervals.
Willow: That's Old Faithful.
Xander: Isn't that the dog that the guy had to shoot...?
Willow: That's Old Yeller.
Buffy: Xander, I beg you not to help me.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
> like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
> simplified" Whoever thought up that wording probably thought up Windows
> Genuine Advantage.
>
> Lemme know how it goes trying to use it on an unpartitioned drive if you
> decide you don't want defaults.
> (The snideness isn't aimed at you--just as Mark mentioned, more like
> Windows all the time. All systems add bloat, the trouble is that RH
> seems to be deprecating more and more CLI configs.

I'm sure kickstart still works fine. You new kids who expect an actual
interface...

jh

Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/16/2010 05:22 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
> like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
> simplified"

well, you can always use the vnc console - and kickstart lets you do
most things.

- KB

Old 11-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Robert Moskowitz

On 11/16/2010 12:22 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:57:30AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

>> X11 installer == game engine? I never use the GUI installer. It is
>> quicker and easier to use the text/console based installer.
>>
> Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
> like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
> simplified" Whoever thought up that wording probably thought up Windows
> Genuine Advantage.
>
> Lemme know how it goes trying to use it on an unpartitioned drive if you
> decide you don't want defaults.
> (The snideness isn't aimed at you--just as Mark mentioned, more like
> Windows all the time. All systems add bloat, the trouble is that RH
> seems to be deprecating more and more CLI configs.

There never seemed to be a Disk Druid text support for LVM. If you do
not like the defaults (and I rarely do), you either have to be good with
kickstart (I am not) or use the Gui to set up the partitions as you want.

For some test systems, when all I want to do is throw up a FC/Centos
system, I will just accept the defaults and then I have gotten by with
the text installer.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> There never seemed to be a Disk Druid text support for LVM. If you do
> not like the defaults (and I rarely do), you either have to be good with
> kickstart (I am not) or use the Gui to set up the partitions as you want.
>
> For some test systems, when all I want to do is throw up a FC/Centos
> system, I will just accept the defaults and then I have gotten by with
> the text installer.

I guess you've always got Alt-F2/rescue mode to do the partitioning you need
otherwise?

jh