Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Default Centos 6 installation memory requirements

> break out your wallet, blow the dust out, and spend a few bucks on some RAM

Sometimes the hardware is so old, that it is not as easy as that to
find the right RAM for it...

I have some very old IBM PoS cashier machines (sic! got them for 30
EUR each, plenty of connectors, very well built) based on Celeron
processors which valiantly run CentOS 5 for some tests/router/storage,
etc., but I have a hard time finding RAM for them.
I think that they will never make it to CentOS 6 (maybe I'll switch
them to Debian which I always found pretty good for low-end hardware).

Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> break out your wallet, blow the dust out, and spend a few bucks on some
RAM

> Sometimes the hardware is so old, that it is not as easy as that to find
the right RAM for it...

> I have some very old IBM PoS cashier machines (sic! got them for 30 EUR
each, plenty of connectors, very well built) based on Celeron processors
which valiantly run CentOS 5 for some tests/router/storage, etc., but I
have a hard time finding RAM for them.
> I think that they will never make it to CentOS 6 (maybe I'll switch them
to Debian which I always found pretty good for low-end hardware).

I've always been impressed with how solid IBM's hardware is. Anyway, one
thing you might look at is to see what's running, and if you don't need
it, turn it off, and maybe uninstall. If these are PoS boxen, do you need
X windows? Do you need Gnome or KDE as windonw managers (look at smaller
ones - I use IceWM at home, < 600k, yes, k, not M; the other admin here
likes xfce)?

mark

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> it, turn it off, and maybe uninstall. If these are PoS boxen, do you need
> X windows? Do you need Gnome or KDE as windonw managers (look at smaller
> ones - I use IceWM at home, < 600k, yes, k, not M; the other admin here
> likes xfce)?

I have the CentOS Extras XFCE on one of them (for which I could
actually get the right additional RAM), but most just run headless
(and were installed with the text installer).

I don't use them as cashier machines, just got them second hand.
They were so cheap that I bought one just to try, and then found it so
good that I bought the other three...
(I'm probably not the only one on this list who has computers all over
the place, and a wife who gave up asking when you come up with a "new"
one)

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
<snip>
> I don't use them as cashier machines, just got them second hand.
> They were so cheap that I bought one just to try, and then found it so
> good that I bought the other three...
> (I'm probably not the only one on this list who has computers all over
> the place, and a wife who gave up asking when you come up with a "new"
> one)

*chortle*
I've got a friend who must have a dozen, including one or two RISC 6000's,
and of *course* his MicroVAX.

mark

Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Keith Roberts

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> From: Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Centos 6 installation memory requirements
>
>> break out your wallet, blow the dust out, and spend a few bucks on some RAM
>
> Sometimes the hardware is so old, that it is not as easy as that to
> find the right RAM for it...
>
> I have some very old IBM PoS cashier machines (sic! got them for 30
> EUR each, plenty of connectors, very well built) based on Celeron
> processors which valiantly run CentOS 5 for some tests/router/storage,
> etc., but I have a hard time finding RAM for them.
> I think that they will never make it to CentOS 6 (maybe I'll switch
> them to Debian which I always found pretty good for low-end hardware).

What type of RAM modules are you looking for?

I think I might be able to help.

Keith

in practice they are not.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> What type of RAM modules are you looking for?

I'm never quite sure how to find out.
I know that there was a pretty descriptive label on one of them (with
200 MHz or something) and that's how I could find a similar one.

Let me open them and find out and I'll contact you offlist.
They would be much more useful with just a bit of additional RAM (and
they may run CentOS 6 in the end

Thanks!

Mathieu