Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Robert Heller

Default Centos 6 installation memory requirements

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:57:30AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> >

> > X11 installer == game engine? I never use the GUI installer. It is
> > quicker and easier to use the text/console based installer.
> >

> Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
> like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
> simplified" Whoever thought up that wording probably thought up Windows
> Genuine Advantage.
>
> Lemme know how it goes trying to use it on an unpartitioned drive if you
> decide you don't want defaults.

Ctrl-Alt-F2 at the apropriate point. Then fun with:

fdisk or parted, then fun with lvm, etc.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 and continue....

Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 05:25:00PM +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
> > like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
> > simplified" Whoever thought up that wording probably thought up Windows
> > Genuine Advantage.
> >
> > Lemme know how it goes trying to use it on an unpartitioned drive if you
>
> I'm sure kickstart still works fine. You new kids who expect an actual
> interface...

Yes, kickstart does still work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Do I have anyone on watch here? It's called security,
people. Are you all asleep? Or did we finally find a restaurant
that delivers?
Ford: I know who you are.
Spike: Yeah, I know who I am too, so what?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Robert Heller

> On 11/16/2010 12:22 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:57:30AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> >> X11 installer == game engine? I never use the GUI installer. It is
> >> quicker and easier to use the text/console based installer.
> >>
> > Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
> > like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
> > simplified" Whoever thought up that wording probably thought up Windows
> > Genuine Advantage.
> >
> > Lemme know how it goes trying to use it on an unpartitioned drive if you
> > decide you don't want defaults.
> > (The snideness isn't aimed at you--just as Mark mentioned, more like
> > Windows all the time. All systems add bloat, the trouble is that RH
> > seems to be deprecating more and more CLI configs.
>
> There never seemed to be a Disk Druid text support for LVM. If you do
> not like the defaults (and I rarely do), you either have to be good with
> kickstart (I am not) or use the Gui to set up the partitions as you want.

Or switch to a shell during the text installer and use the available CLI
tools directly (eg fdisk/parted and lvm). This is what *I* have done.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Robert Moskowitz

On 11/16/2010 12:28 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 05:22 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
>> Errm, it was. In one more brilliant following of Fedora (watch us look
>> like Windows), the text installer for 6 has been "streamlined and
>> simplified"
>>
> well, you can always use the vnc console - and kickstart lets you do
> most things.

Yes, I was thinking about vnc console.

back on Centos 5.2, I built a boot CD for it, and had to hard code the
IP addr for my notebook for it. Then, perhaps once on FC12, it was a
boot option and actually easy to use. So I will have to look it up and
to some testing....

Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Robert Moskowitz

On 11/16/2010 12:36 PM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>> There never seemed to be a Disk Druid text support for LVM. If you do
>> not like the defaults (and I rarely do), you either have to be good with
>> kickstart (I am not) or use the Gui to set up the partitions as you want.
>>
>> For some test systems, when all I want to do is throw up a FC/Centos
>> system, I will just accept the defaults and then I have gotten by with
>> the text installer.
>>
> I guess you've always got Alt-F2/rescue mode to do the partitioning you need
> otherwise?

Never knew about this, perhaps I will delve into it.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Robert Heller

> On 11/16/2010 12:36 PM, John Hodrien wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >

> >> There never seemed to be a Disk Druid text support for LVM. If you do
> >> not like the defaults (and I rarely do), you either have to be good with
> >> kickstart (I am not) or use the Gui to set up the partitions as you want.
> >>
> >> For some test systems, when all I want to do is throw up a FC/Centos
> >> system, I will just accept the defaults and then I have gotten by with
> >> the text installer.
> >>
> > I guess you've always got Alt-F2/rescue mode to do the partitioning you need
> > otherwise?
>
> Never knew about this, perhaps I will delve into it.

The text installer fires off several virtual consoles. Console 1
(Ctrl-Alt-F1) is the usually dialog-based installer. Console 2 is a
shell. And Colsole 3, 4, & 5 are bound to various stderr/stdout of
different processes (you can watch various debug/verbose output of
various aspects of the install process -- usefull if something goes
wrong).

Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Karanbir Singh

> Yes, I was thinking about vnc console.
>
> back on Centos 5.2, I built a boot CD for it, and had to hard code the
> IP addr for my notebook for it. Then, perhaps once on FC12, it was a
> boot option and actually easy to use. So I will have to look it up and
> to some testing....

are you sure ? I've been using hardcoded vnc options to boot /run from
since the CentOS-3 days. (
http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remote_vnc_c
has been around for a while too )

- KB

Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Robert Moskowitz

On 11/17/2010 05:29 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 08:26 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Yes, I was thinking about vnc console.
>>
>> back on Centos 5.2, I built a boot CD for it, and had to hard code the
>> IP addr for my notebook for it. Then, perhaps once on FC12, it was a
>> boot option and actually easy to use. So I will have to look it up and
>> to some testing....
>>
> are you sure ? I've been using hardcoded vnc options to boot /run from
> since the CentOS-3 days. (
> http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remote_vnc_c
> has been around for a while too )

hmm..

I looked back at what I did. It was around sep '08 and I built CD #1 for
Centos 5.2 and Fedora 10 using the examples given at:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/VncHeadlessInstall

Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Gordon Messmer

> There never seemed to be a Disk Druid text support for LVM. If you do
> not like the defaults (and I rarely do), you either have to be good with
> kickstart (I am not) or use the Gui to set up the partitions as you want.

system-config-kickstart does appear to lack suport for LVM, but it does
pretty much everything else.

The LVM directives are pretty straightforward, and there's a clear
example in the documentation:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#logvol

You can use system-config-kickstart to set everything up the way you
want it (including the partitions themselves), and then modify the
ks.cfg it generates to add the LVM configuration that you need.

You can also set up one system the way you want it, and look at
/root/anaconda-ks.cfg afterward. It'll have information you can use to
set up an identical system, including the LVM directives. They'll be
commented out, but they'll be usable if you remove the hash in the first
line character.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:38 PM
"R-Elists"

please stop wasting your precious time

break out your wallet, blow the dust out, and spend a few bucks on some RAM

it is TOTALLY inexpensive and you can add some quality years to your life
than to spend it in such painful and worrisome turmoil

;->