Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Nicolas Ross

Default Upgrade from RHEL 6 beta ?

I've installed rhel 6 beta to start playing around with clustering, gfs2 and ldap.

Will I be able to upgrade to centos 6 final or I'll have to re-install ?

Nicolas

Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Markus Falb

On 16.11.10 14:12, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> I've installed rhel 6 beta to start playing around with clustering, gfs2 and ldap.
>
> Will I be able to upgrade to centos 6 final or I'll have to re-install ?
>
> Nicolas

If I remember correctly, in the release notes for rhel6-beta it is
written that an upgrade to the final release is _not_ supported, so I
would be amazed if CentOS would support or recommend that.

Recently there was a discussion about upgrading to rhel6 on the
rhelv6-beta list

http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv6-beta-list@redhat.com/msg00076.html

Of course, whats supported and whats possible are separate topics,
maybe. If you really want to try the following article in the CentOS
wiki may also be helpful, look for the subtopic "Migration from RHEL5 to
CentOS5"

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide?highlight=%28upgrade%29

--
Best Regards,
Markus Falb

Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Markus Falb

On 16.11.10 16:02, Markus Falb wrote:

> Recently there was a discussion about upgrading to rhel6 on the
> rhelv6-beta list
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv6-beta-list-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/msg00076.html

Where did I got that link ? Here is a hopefully working one:

Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

> > Recently there was a discussion about upgrading to rhel6 on the
> > rhelv6-beta list
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv6-beta-list-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/msg00076.html
>
> Where did I got that link ? Here is a hopefully working one:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv6-beta-list@redhat.com/msg00076.html
>

> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide?highlight=%28upgrade%29
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide

Ok, I see, seems too risky versus the real gain.

I'll then do my test and playing around with gfs2 and all with the rhel6
beta, take note and re-install from scratch when CentOS 6 comes out,
hopefully sooner than later.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Markus Falb

On 16.11.10 16:09, Markus Falb wrote:
> On 16.11.10 16:02, Markus Falb wrote:
>>
>> Recently there was a discussion about upgrading to rhel6 on the
>> rhelv6-beta list
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv6-beta-list-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/msg00076.html
>
> Where did I got that link ? Here is a hopefully working one:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv6-beta-list-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/msg00076.html

It seems like the link I provided is censored by someone. '@redhat.com'
is transformed to '@redhat.com' which is
unusable. Sorry for the noise.

One can google for "update RHEL6b2 to RHEL final"

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22update+RHEL6b2+to +RHEL+final%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

--
Best Regards,
Markus Falb

Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

Hi again !

I am begining to play with my new servers. I got for starter 2 nodes (1u
intel server platform, with a LSI Logic FC949ES FC card). I am like a child
playing with his new toys at christmas... I can't wait for CentOS 6 to come
out.

I do not want to clutter the list about requests for CentOS 6, but I'd like
to keep myself informed as where the build process is and how far the
release is. Is there any place where I can get more info on the coming
CentOS 6 ?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
William Warren