Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Mogens Kjaer

Default Disk operations very slow on Lenovo Thinkcentre

On 11/16/2010 09:25 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> My haphazard guess here would be that the
> disk is somehow treated as IDE, not as SATA, thus making the read/write
> operations much slower than theoretically possible (which would mean
> that somewhere in the boot process, the wrong driver for the disk is
> loaded). But then, it's only my guess.

We've had some HP machines with this behaviour. The trick on them was to
boot with:

hda=noprobe hdc=noprobe

and the disk shows up as sda instead of hda, now working at full speed.

This has to be done during installation and manually added to grub.conf
after the installation.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Niki Kovacs

Mogens Kjaer a écrit :

> We've had some HP machines with this behaviour. The trick on them was to
> boot with:
>
> hda=noprobe hdc=noprobe
>
> and the disk shows up as sda instead of hda, now working at full speed.
>
> This has to be done during installation and manually added to grub.conf
> after the installation.

That did the trick. The machine is now about ten times faster.

Thanks very much, you saved my day!

Niki