Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Dave Stevens

Default upgrading Centos-Xen when version 6 comes along

I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
(currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/16/2010 12:36 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
> (currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?

the Base CentOS-6 will have no Xen dom0 support, so you will almost
certainly want to stick with centos-5 on the dom0, for the DomU's you
can rebuild / upgrade using the regular process.

While centos-6 goes through beta and qa, its customary to make notes
about potential upgrade paths. So keep a lookout for those closer to
release time.

- KB

Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:

> On 11/16/2010 12:36 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
>> (currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?
>
> the Base CentOS-6 will have no Xen dom0 support, so you will almost
> certainly want to stick with centos-5 on the dom0, for the DomU's you
> can rebuild / upgrade using the regular process.
>
> While centos-6 goes through beta and qa, its customary to make notes
> about potential upgrade paths. So keep a lookout for those closer to
> release time.
>
> - KB

OK, thanks very much.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Digimer

On 11/15/2010 07:36 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
> (currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?
>
> Dave

I know that there is discussion on getting dom0 support into Fedora 15,
with maybe 50/50 chance that it will happen. I suspect that will be the
focus for the near future. Xen dom0 support is going into the mainline
2.6.37 kernel, but there are still patches that are needed.

Once the bugs have been ironed out, I suspect that CentOS support will
follow soon after. There will be experimental kernels before then, but I
would not recommend them outside of test environments.

In short, stick to CentOS 5 in production for the foreseeable future.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
"Morten P.D. Stevens"

2010/11/16 Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com>:
> I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
> (currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?

Hi,

take a look at here:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-v2v-migration.html

and

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/convert-a-local-xen-guest.html

Best regards,

Morten

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/16/2010 01:03 AM, Digimer wrote:
> Once the bugs have been ironed out, I suspect that CentOS support will
> follow soon after. There will be experimental kernels before then, but I
> would not recommend them outside of test environments.

If someone wants to put in the effort, and if there is sufficient demand
for this to maintain as a part of centos-plus, hey - lets talk

- KB

Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 11/16/2010 02:30 AM, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
> 2010/11/16 Dave Stevens<geek@uniserve.com>:
>> I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
>> (currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?
>
> Hi,
>
> take a look at here:
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-v2v-migration.html
>
> and
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/convert-a-local-xen-guest.html

and if your machine support KVM ie: AMD-V or Intel VT-x, you can use
xenner to run paravirt xen guest in KVM

[1] http://kraxel.fedorapeople.org/xenner/

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Athmane Madjoudj <athmanem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 02:30 AM, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
>> 2010/11/16 Dave Stevens<geek@uniserve.com>:
>>> I am curious what is the best way to upgrade my dom0 and domUs to V.6
>>> (currently 5) when it releases. Any experience or docs on this?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> take a look at here:
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/chap-Virtualization-v2v-migration.html
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/convert-a-local-xen-guest.html
>>

> and if your machine support KVM ie: AMD-V or Intel VT-x, you can use
> xenner to run paravirt xen guest in KVM
>
> [1] http://kraxel.fedorapeople.org/xenner/
>
> --
> Athmane Madjoudj

So, do I understand this corret: RH6 won't have (native?) XEN support
anymore, which obviously means CentOS won't have it either?

Have anyone used both XEN & KVM before? What are your experiences with
either, in comparison to each other? We've been using XEN for about 4
years now, and only use CentOS as our server platform. I'd hate to
move to Debian or OpenSuse just for XEN, and I don't know KVM at all.
--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Digimer

On 11/17/2010 10:39 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> So, do I understand this corret: RH6 won't have (native?) XEN support
> anymore, which obviously means CentOS won't have it either?
>
> Have anyone used both XEN& KVM before? What are your experiences with
> either, in comparison to each other? We've been using XEN for about 4
> years now, and only use CentOS as our server platform. I'd hate to
> move to Debian or OpenSuse just for XEN, and I don't know KVM at all.

There will be no *official* support for Xen dom0 in RHEL6 and it's
derivatives. That said, there is already work under way to get dom0
support into RHEL6. I'm personally working on a tutorial now, and I know
a few people are working on the kernel.

Though, right now, the focus seems to be restoring official dom0 support
into Fedora 15, so it will be a little slow getting into RHEL6.

I expect that Michael Young's Fedora 12 kernel will recompile fairly
easily onto RHEL6 as both are 2.6.32 based. I hope to test that tonight
or tomorrow. As for comparing KVM to Xen, I am also working on some
benchmarks as I truly don't know which is faster. What I can say, at
this point, is that the differences are structural more than anything.
Personally, I like the idea of have a minimal "host OS" as seen in Xen.
Though I don't have any hard reasons backing that up yet.

Once I finish my benchmarks, I will post them to the CentOS-virt mailing
list. I'm still hoping to have numbers by the end of this weekend,
assuming I don't run into too many problems getting Xen dom0 running.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Digimer <linux@alteeve.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 10:39 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> So, do I understand this corret: RH6 won't have (native?) XEN support
>> anymore, which obviously means CentOS won't have it either?
>>
>> Have anyone used both XEN& *KVM before? What are your experiences with
>> either, in comparison to each other? We've been using XEN for about 4
>> years now, and only use CentOS as our server platform. I'd hate to
>> move to Debian or OpenSuse just for XEN, and I don't know KVM at all.
>
> There will be no *official* support for Xen dom0 in RHEL6 and it's
> derivatives. That said, there is already work under way to get dom0
> support into RHEL6. I'm personally working on a tutorial now, and I know
> a few people are working on the kernel.
>
> Though, right now, the focus seems to be restoring official dom0 support
> into Fedora 15, so it will be a little slow getting into RHEL6.
>
> I expect that Michael Young's Fedora 12 kernel will recompile fairly
> easily onto RHEL6 as both are 2.6.32 based. I hope to test that tonight
> or tomorrow. As for comparing KVM to Xen, I am also working on some
> benchmarks as I truly don't know which is faster. What I can say, at
> this point, is that the differences are structural more than anything.
> Personally, I like the idea of have a minimal "host OS" as seen in Xen.
> Though I don't have any hard reasons backing that up yet.
>
> Once I finish my benchmarks, I will post them to the CentOS-virt mailing
> list. I'm still hoping to have numbers by the end of this weekend,
> assuming I don't run into too many problems getting Xen dom0 running.
>
> --
> Digimer
> E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com
> AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
> Node Assassin: *http://nodeassassin.org

Thanx Digimer,

Just out of curiosity, are you part of the CentOS development team?
Maybe the Wiki hasn't been updated with your info yet?

Would you mind posting your findings to this list as well?