Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   updating to gtk+ >= 2.0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/452530-updating-gtk-2-0-a.html)

11-14-2010 09:33 PM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
Hi all,

Any know the best way to up gtk+ on Centos 5.5 to something being at
least 2.0 or greater?

- aurf
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Ned Slider 11-14-2010 09:55 PM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
On 14/11/10 22:33, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any know the best way to up gtk+ on Centos 5.5 to something being at
> least 2.0 or greater?
>

yum install gtk2

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

11-14-2010 10:52 PM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
On Nov 14, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Ned Slider wrote:

> On 14/11/10 22:33, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Any know the best way to up gtk+ on Centos 5.5 to something being at
>> least 2.0 or greater?
>>
>
> yum install gtk2

Not so fast.

gtk+-1.2.10-56.el5 is whats installed.


I've an app that requires 2 or greater to compile and therefore fails.


- aurf

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Karanbir Singh 11-14-2010 11:05 PM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
On 11/14/2010 11:52 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>> yum install gtk2
> Not so fast.
> gtk+-1.2.10-56.el5 is whats installed.
>
> I've an app that requires 2 or greater to compile and therefore fails.

try that command Ned recommended, really. If you want to look before
doing : yum list gtk*;

- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

11-14-2010 11:46 PM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
On Nov 14, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 11/14/2010 11:52 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>>> yum install gtk2
>> Not so fast.
>> gtk+-1.2.10-56.el5 is whats installed.
>>
>> I've an app that requires 2 or greater to compile and therefore
>> fails.
>
> try that command Ned recommended, really. If you want to look before
> doing : yum list gtk*;
>


ok, will do.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Gordon Messmer 11-15-2010 12:10 AM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
On 11/14/2010 03:52 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Ned Slider wrote:>
>>
>> yum install gtk2
>
> Not so fast.
> gtk+-1.2.10-56.el5 is whats installed.
> I've an app that requires 2 or greater to compile and therefore fails.

In that case:

yum install gtk2 gtk2-devel
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

11-15-2010 12:28 AM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
On Nov 14, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> On 11/14/2010 03:52 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Ned Slider wrote:>
>>>
>>> yum install gtk2
>>
>> Not so fast.
>> gtk+-1.2.10-56.el5 is whats installed.
>> I've an app that requires 2 or greater to compile and therefore
>> fails.
>
> In that case:
>
> yum install gtk2 gtk2-devel


Funny thing is those are already installed.

However I require a later version of gtk+.

I'm attempting to compile from source.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Niki Kovacs 11-15-2010 05:16 AM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
aurfalien@gmail.com a écrit :

>
> Funny thing is those are already installed.
>
> However I require a later version of gtk+.
>

[kikinovak@babasse:~] $ rpm -qa | grep ^gtk
...
gtk2-2.10.4-20.el5
gtk2-engines-2.8.0-3.el5
gtk+-1.2.10-56.el5
...

GTK (Gimp Tool Kit) is a graphic library originally designed for Gimp,
and needed by a series of graphical applications.

GTK1 (gtk+-1.2.10) is the old version of GTK, needed by GTK1
applications like XMMS, for example, with all those grey and unsexy menus.

As for the gtk2-2.10.4 package, it's one of those packages that are
really behind in CentOS. The consequence of that is for example that
GIMP can't be offered in a version greater than 2.2.

My advice : wait for CentOS 6.0 with a more recent GTK2.

Cheers,

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Gabriel Tabares 11-15-2010 03:09 PM

updating to gtk+ >= 2.0
 
>> In that case:
>>
>> yum install gtk2 gtk2-devel
>
> Funny thing is those are already installed.
>
> However I require a later version of gtk+.
>
> I'm attempting to compile from source.
>
CentOS comes with an old version of GTK 2. Most application these days
require a later version of the library, so you have two realistic options:
* Compile GTK from source and install it out of the standard library
path, then specify the include paths for compiling and use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running the application.
* Use another Linux distritbution or wait for CentOS 6

There's another option that is not guaranteed to work, copy all the
libraries you need from another Linux distribution (Fedora?) into a
directory, use LD_LIBRARY_PATH and pray that it works with CentOS, but I
would not place much trust on this option.

I would personally go for the latter option as compiling a new version
of GTK and its dependencies is not for the faint of heart, specially for
something as obsolete (by choice) as CentOS.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.