Old 11-14-2010, 02:00 AM

Default make fails with "recompile with -fPIC"

Hi all,

I am trying to get monodevelop installed on Centos 5.5

In order to do so, I must install several packages, all of which give
me the following error when doing a make;

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/image.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
`gdip_getcodecinfo_gif' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

How and where do I add this value of -fPIC?

Better yet, has any one done this before?

Keep in mind this is diff then mono-devel.

Thanks in advance,
- aurf

Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 AM
John R Pierce

On 11/13/10 7:00 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to get monodevelop installed on Centos 5.5
>
> In order to do so, I must install several packages, all of which give
> me the following error when doing a make;
>
> /usr/bin/ld: .libs/image.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
> `gdip_getcodecinfo_gif' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
>
> How and where do I add this value of -fPIC?
>
> Better yet, has any one done this before?
>
> Keep in mind this is diff then mono-devel.
>
> Thanks in advance,

the ./configure script should have taken care of that, at least assuming
that project has one.

otherwise, um...

LDFLAGS=-fPIC ./configure && make clean && make

Old 11-14-2010, 02:12 AM

On Nov 13, 2010, at 7:03 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 11/13/10 7:00 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to get monodevelop installed on Centos 5.5
>>
>> In order to do so, I must install several packages, all of which give
>> me the following error when doing a make;
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: .libs/image.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
>> `gdip_getcodecinfo_gif' can not be used when making a shared object;
>> recompile with -fPIC
>> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
>>
>> How and where do I add this value of -fPIC?
>>
>> Better yet, has any one done this before?
>>
>> Keep in mind this is diff then mono-devel.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>
> the ./configure script should have taken care of that, at least
> assuming that project has one.
>
> otherwise, um...
>
> LDFLAGS=-fPIC ./configure && make clean && make

Hi John,

Many thanks for the rapid reply.

If I still get the error after using your fix, what would you assume
is wrong?

- aurf