Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 PM
bluethundr

Default can't find ldapseaerch

hello list

I'm having a very strange problem with my centos 5.5 system. For some
strange reason, this machine cannot find ldapsearch:

[root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# ldapsearch
ldapsearch: Command not found.

[root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# whereis ldapsearch
ldapsearch: /usr/bin/ldapsearch /usr/share/man/man1/ldapsearch.1.gz

ldapsearch currently lives at /usr/bin along with a lot of other
really very useful tools.

/usr/bin is also _clearly_ on my root path:i

[root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# echo $PATH
/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

And here are the permissions and modes for this tool:

[root@VIRTCENT13 bin]# ls -l ldapsearch
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 65336 Aug 11 09:20 ldapsearch

And other things in this directory (like yum for example) work just fine:

[root@VIRTCENT13 bin]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 11750.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
The other application is: yum-updatesd-he
Memory : 65 M RSS (107 MB VSZ)
Started: Sat Nov 13 18:04:22 2010 - 00:57 ago
State : Running, pid: 11750

If you feed the command line the full path to ldapsearch it works as
intended. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why ldapsearch isn't
being found?

thanks!
--
Here's my RSA Public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 5A4873A9

Share and enjoy!!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 AM

bluethundr wrote:
> If you feed the command line the full path to ldapsearch it works as
> intended. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why ldapsearch isn't
> being found?

Assuming bash -
Does "hash -l" show anything interesting
Does "alias" show anything interesting?

--
Charles Polisher

Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 18:09 -0500, bluethundr wrote:
> hello list
>
> I'm having a very strange problem with my centos 5.5 system. For some
> strange reason, this machine cannot find ldapsearch:
>
> [root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# ldapsearch
> ldapsearch: Command not found.
>

> [root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# whereis ldapsearch
> ldapsearch: /usr/bin/ldapsearch /usr/share/man/man1/ldapsearch.1.gz
>
> ldapsearch currently lives at /usr/bin along with a lot of other
> really very useful tools.
>

> /usr/bin is also _clearly_ on my root path:i
>
> [root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# echo $PATH
> /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> And here are the permissions and modes for this tool:
>
> [root@VIRTCENT13 bin]# ls -l ldapsearch
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 65336 Aug 11 09:20 ldapsearch
----
given your 'echo $PATH' it should work... you might want to verify the
package...

[root@srv1 ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/ldapsearch
openldap-clients-2.3.43-3.el5

[root@srv1 ~]# rpm -V openldap-clients
#

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Gordon Messmer

>> [root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# ldapsearch
>> ldapsearch: Command not found.
>> [root@VIRTCENT13 ~]# whereis ldapsearch
>> ldapsearch: /usr/bin/ldapsearch /usr/share/man/man1/ldapsearch.1.gz

$ file /usr/bin/ldapsearch
$ ldd /usr/bin/ldapsearch