Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Confused about Java browser plugin for Firefox

Hi,

I'd like to install a working Java Plugin for Firefox, and I wonder how to go
about it. There's some documentation available online, but one quickly gets
the feeling it's quite a mess. I also admit being a contributor to the mess,
since the Linux book I published in June 2009 gives a detailed - and now
obsolete - description about installing JRE :

http://www.microlinux.fr/linux_aux_petits_oignons/chapitre_8/01.php#java

Any advice on how to go about that without jumping through burning loops? A
pointer to some concise documentation or, even better, a short and working
step-by-step HOWTO?

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs
--
http://www.kikinovak.net

Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Barry Brimer

> Any advice on how to go about that without jumping through burning loops? A
> pointer to some concise documentation or, even better, a short and working
> step-by-step HOWTO?

The problem may be that in Firefox 3.6.6 (or some time close to that) the
name of the Java plugin changed. It is no longer libjavaplugin_oji.so,
rather it is now libnpjp2.so. It also changed locations within the
installed JRE as well. If you have the current JRE installed, you should
be able to get it working with the following command run as root:

ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

HTH,
Barry

Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Barry Brimer wrote:

> From: Barry Brimer <lists@brimer.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Confused about Java browser plugin for Firefox
>
>> Any advice on how to go about that without jumping through burning loops? A
>> pointer to some concise documentation or, even better, a short and working
>> step-by-step HOWTO?
>
> The problem may be that in Firefox 3.6.6 (or some time close to that) the
> name of the Java plugin changed. It is no longer libjavaplugin_oji.so,
> rather it is now libnpjp2.so. It also changed locations within the
> installed JRE as well. If you have the current JRE installed, you should
> be able to get it working with the following command run as root:
>
> ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
>
> HTH,
> Barry

There's a thread in the Centos 5 forum:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27062&forum=38&post_id=1111 35#forumpost111135

HTH

Keith Roberts

Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 AM
topeak

yesterday, i resolved the issue.

type aboutlugins in url box, then there is a link to firefox plugin document.

at first, i used firefix-3.6. the java plugin always did not work.
later, i changed the jdk version. it still not work.

last, i changed to used firefox-3.5, then it's OK.

therefor, you can change the firefox version to 3.5.

notice, link /path-to-jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to ~/mozila/plugins, not copy.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

Hi,

I missed the most posts of the thread so let me say those few words.

First of all I use Java or OpenOffice.org from producers' websites.
They are always "fresh" and installable in RHEL.

I assume too, that the i386 and amd64 versions work the same way, only
the lib names can be different.

Thirdly, I cannot say now what method I used lately but either of them
worked flawlessly. I installed Scientific Linux (CentOS) several times
without any snags.

So,

1. The latest Java is attached to the latest OpenOffice.org RPMs.
http://download.openoffice.org/other.html

2. Java RPM can be downloaded from Oracle page:
http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com

test Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Java directory with Java libs and plugins:
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/lib/amd64

I use to place OpenOffice.org in /opt directory. Java is installed here:
/opt/openoffice.org/ure

It must be working as it always worked here. ;-)

Best regards,
Przemysław Pawełczyk

Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2@o2.pl

Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:18:24 +0100
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2@o2.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I missed the most posts of the thread so let me say those few words.
>
> First of all I use Java or OpenOffice.org from producers' websites.
> They are always "fresh" and installable in RHEL.
>
> I assume too, that the i386 and amd64 versions work the same way, only
> the lib names can be different.
>
> Thirdly, I cannot say now what method I used lately but either of them
> worked flawlessly. I installed Scientific Linux (CentOS) several times
> without any snags.
>
> So,
>
> 1. The latest Java is attached to the latest OpenOffice.org RPMs.
> http://download.openoffice.org/other.html
>
> 2. Java RPM can be downloaded from Oracle page:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com
>
> test Java:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
>
> Java directory with Java libs and plugins:
> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/lib/amd64
>
> I use to place OpenOffice.org in /opt directory. Java is installed
> here: /opt/openoffice.org/ure
>
> It must be working as it always worked here. ;-)

Hi,

A few words on plugin directories.

Typical Linux directory /usr/share/mozilla/plugins does not work here.
The right place for plugins in RHEL amd64, as in my 64bit example, is:
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.

I had to find out that because the libnpjp2.so library wasn't placed in
user's ~/.mozilla/plugins directory and what made me so confused
wondering why my Firefox 3.6.11 read the java pages without the
library! :-)

Summing up - the best way to find out what works or why something
doesn't is a "small step approach" - trying to make use of the latest
libs or apps from developers websites - not from the main repos for our
system releases.

Regards

Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 AM
topeak

I use fedora i386. After i link the jre plugin file to user's ~/.mozilla/plugins directory, they both work very well.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:03:16 +0800
topeak <topeak95@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use fedora i386. After i link the jre plugin file to user's
> ~/.mozilla/plugins directory, they both work very well.

Hi,

Of course, I only wanted to point to another directories where one
would be able to place JRE and other plugins.

Regards

Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Lars Hecking

topeak writes:
> yesterday, i resolved the issue.
>
> type aboutlugins in url box, then there is a link to firefox plugin
> document.

These links haven't been updated in long time, it seems. Come on,
flash player version 9?

How to pick the correct java plugin on firefox:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Java-related+issues
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Michael Klinosky

topeak wrote:
> yesterday, i resolved the issue.
>
> type aboutlugins in url box, then there is a link to firefox plugin
> document.
>
> at first, i used firefix-3.6. the java plugin always did not work.
> later, i changed the jdk version. it still not work.
> last, i changed to used firefox-3.5, then it's OK.
>
> therefor, you can change the firefox version to 3.5.

Check http://java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml

I think that'll help your situation.