Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Best way to configure proprietary NVidia driver on CentOS ?

Le vendredi 12 novembre 2010 23:37:56, Akemi Yagi a écrit :

> In my [heavily biased] opinion, this is by far the best way:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
>
> Akemi

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I go about to install this one ? Usually I
have [rpmforge] configured, so I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong), I have to
setup [elrepo] (put the according configuration in /etc/yum.repos.d), but with
'enabled=0'. And then :

yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-nvidia nvidia-x11-drv

Right ?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
John Doe

From: Nicolas Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>

> What's the best (cleanest, easiest, whatever) way to install the proprietary
> NVidia driver on CentOS 5.5 ? Usually I'm using the RPMForge 3rd party repo
> and compile the odd missing package myself from a Fedora SRPM. But the nvidia

> packages look a bit like a mess. DKMS has errors in the startup script
> (looking for a nonexistent log_action_msg and the likes), so I wonder if it's

> best to just download the driver from nvidia.com and build it myself.

I use dkms-nvidia-x11-drv and it works fine between kernel updates...
While I know kmod is said to be better, last time I tried it, I failed to make
it work.
Maybe I will retry kmod later...

JD