Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Best way to configure proprietary NVidia driver on CentOS ?

Hi,

What's the best (cleanest, easiest, whatever) way to install the proprietary
NVidia driver on CentOS 5.5 ? Usually I'm using the RPMForge 3rd party repo
and compile the odd missing package myself from a Fedora SRPM. But the nvidia
packages look a bit like a mess. DKMS has errors in the startup script
(looking for a nonexistent log_action_msg and the likes), so I wonder if it's
best to just download the driver from nvidia.com and build it myself.

Then I thought : I'd rather ask.

Cheers,

Niki
--
http://www.kikinovak.net

Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Nicolas Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the best (cleanest, easiest, whatever) way to install the proprietary
> NVidia driver on CentOS 5.5 ? Usually I'm using the RPMForge 3rd party repo
> and compile the odd missing package myself from a Fedora SRPM. But the nvidia
> packages look a bit like a mess. DKMS has errors in the startup script
> (looking for a nonexistent log_action_msg and the likes), so I wonder if it's
> best to just download the driver from nvidia.com and build it myself.
>
> Then I thought : I'd rather ask.

In my [heavily biased] opinion, this is by far the best way:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

Akemi

Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 PM
RedShift

On 11/12/10 23:34, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the best (cleanest, easiest, whatever) way to install the proprietary
> NVidia driver on CentOS 5.5 ? Usually I'm using the RPMForge 3rd party repo
> and compile the odd missing package myself from a Fedora SRPM. But the nvidia
> packages look a bit like a mess. DKMS has errors in the startup script
> (looking for a nonexistent log_action_msg and the likes), so I wonder if it's
> best to just download the driver from nvidia.com and build it myself.
>
> Then I thought : I'd rather ask.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

I use the driver from nvidia.com. The setup process is a no brainer.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 PM
"James A. Peltier"

| On 11/12/10 23:34, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > What's the best (cleanest, easiest, whatever) way to install the
| > proprietary
| > NVidia driver on CentOS 5.5 ? Usually I'm using the RPMForge 3rd
| > party repo
| > and compile the odd missing package myself from a Fedora SRPM. But
| > the nvidia
| > packages look a bit like a mess. DKMS has errors in the startup
| > script
| > (looking for a nonexistent log_action_msg and the likes), so I
| > wonder if it's
| > best to just download the driver from nvidia.com and build it
| > myself.
| >
| > Then I thought : I'd rather ask.
| >
| > Cheers,
| >
| > Niki
|
| I use the driver from nvidia.com. The setup process is a no brainer.

I do similar. I have a script which calls the latest version of the driver installer only if it can't find a version of the driver for the running kernel. If it does it runs the installer with the -a -s -X options to build and configure X if not done already.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director

Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Nicolas Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Le vendredi 12 novembre 2010 23:37:56, Akemi Yagi a écrit :
>>
>> In my [heavily biased] opinion, this is by far the best way:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
>>
>> Akemi
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. How do I go about to install this one ? Usually I
> have [rpmforge] configured, so I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong), I have to
> setup [elrepo] (put the according configuration in /etc/yum.repos.d), but with
> 'enabled=0'. And then :
>
> yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-nvidia nvidia-x11-drv
>
> Right ?

Yes, but please make sure you *uninstall* the rpmforge package as
stated in the "Notes for RPMForge users" section.

Akemi

Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier@sfu.ca> wrote:

> | I use the driver from nvidia.com. The setup process is a no brainer.

This needs to be done for every kernel update.

> I do similar. *I have a script which calls the latest version of the driver installer only if it can't find a version of the driver for the running kernel. *If it does it runs the installer with the -a -s -X options to build and configure X if not done already.

Yes, I used to automate that way on my systems. However, the
advantage with the kmod package from ELRepo is that it is kernel
version-independent, kABI-tracking, meaning it survives kernel updates
transparently and it does not require development software such as
gcc.

ELRepo keeps the Nvidia version up to date.

OK, too much advertisement. :-P

Akemi

Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM
John Hodrien

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, John Doe wrote:

> I use dkms-nvidia-x11-drv and it works fine between kernel updates... While
> I know kmod is said to be better, last time I tried it, I failed to make it
> work. Maybe I will retry kmod later...

I'd previously had an identical experience to yours with kmod-nvidia, but when
I recently tried it all worked without a hitch. dkms-nvidia from rpmforge is
just too far out of date now really.

jh

Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Ned Slider

On 15/11/10 10:21, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, John Doe wrote:
>
>> I use dkms-nvidia-x11-drv and it works fine between kernel updates... While
>> I know kmod is said to be better, last time I tried it, I failed to make it
>> work. Maybe I will retry kmod later...
>
> I'd previously had an identical experience to yours with kmod-nvidia, but when
> I recently tried it all worked without a hitch. dkms-nvidia from rpmforge is
> just too far out of date now really.

The dkms driver is deprecated in favour of the elrepo kmod-nvidia driver.

If you have problems with the kmod-nvidia driver, please do subscribe
and post to the elrepo mailing list and someone will be more than happy
to assist you. Most problems are likely caused by not properly
uninstalling any previous incarnations of the nvidia driver, be it dkms
or the NVIDIA installer.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, John Doe wrote:
>
>> I use dkms-nvidia-x11-drv and it works fine between kernel updates...
>> While I know kmod is said to be better, last time I tried it, I failed
to make
>> it work. Maybe I will retry kmod later...
>
> I'd previously had an identical experience to yours with kmod-nvidia, but
> when I recently tried it all worked without a hitch. dkms-nvidia from
rpmforge
> is just too far out of date now really.

Unless, of course, you have an old card that's not supported in the newer
drivers.

mark, using the 173 nVidia proprietary driver for twinview

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> John Hodrien wrote:

>> I'd previously had an identical experience to yours with kmod-nvidia, but
>> when I recently tried it all worked without a hitch. *dkms-nvidia from
> rpmforge
>> is just too far out of date now really.
>
> Unless, of course, you have an old card that's not supported in the newer
> drivers.
>
> * * * *mark, using the 173 nVidia proprietary driver for twinview

ELRepo provides, in addition to the latest, two older versions, 96xx and 173xx:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-96xx
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-173xx
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia ( <= latest )

They are all up to date. :-)