Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Todd Cary

Default Centos 4 and cgiemail

I am running Centos 4 and want to run cgiemail in a directory
under the web application. The setting of the "value" property
in the <form> is tricky, but I have the web application running
on other servers without a problem. On my server I get the error
that it cannot find the file pointed to by the value in the <form>.

My question is whether or not I need to do something special like
install an application on the server or do something special with
permissions (the cgiemail is owned by apache and has 775 for
permissions).

The web app is in the "interact" folder with the cgiemail in
cgi-bin under it.

Works on other servers.

Many thanks...

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Dave Cross

On 12 November 2010 15:14, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> I am running Centos 4 and want to run cgiemail in a directory
> under the web application. *The setting of the "value" property
> in the <form> is tricky, but I have the web application running
> on other servers without a problem. *On my server I get the error
> that it cannot find the file pointed to by the value in the <form>.
>
> My question is whether or not I need to do something special like
> install an application on the server or do something special with
> permissions (the cgiemail is owned by apache and has 775 for
> permissions).
>
> The web app is in the "interact" folder with the cgiemail in
> cgi-bin under it.

It all depends very much on how the web server is configured. Do you
know if the web server is configured to run CGI programs? Do you have
access to the Apache configuration files? (Actually, is the server
running Apache?)

What value have you given the "action" attribute on the form element?
You say that the CGI program is in the cgi-bin directory - was that
directory there before, or did you create it yourself? Are there any
other cgi-bin directories in the web area on the server?

Sorry for all the questions, but without answers to them any attempt
to help would be purely guesswork.

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Todd Cary

Dave -

Thank you for the response. I need to leave for a few days, but
when I return, I'll get back to you with som answers.

Again, thank you...

Todd

Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Todd Cary

It all depends very much on how the web server is configured. Do you
know if the web server is configured to run CGI programs? Do you have
access to the Apache configuration files? (Actually, is the server
running Apache?)

What value have you given the "action" attribute on the form element?
You say that the CGI program is in the cgi-bin directory - was that
directory there before, or did you create it yourself? Are there any
other cgi-bin directories in the web area on the server?

<<< Do you know if the web server is configured to run CGI programs? >>>
The server is in my office running Centos 4, however I am not sure how to check to see if it is configured to run CGI.

<<< Do you have access to the Apache configuration files? (Actually, is the server
running Apache?) >>>
Yes, it is running Apache and I have complete access.

<<< What value have you given the "action" attribute on the form element? >>>
<form action="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho/template.txt">"http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho/template.txt" method="post">

The template.txt file is at
http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/template.txt

The cgi is at
http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho

This is the error:
The requested URL /srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho/template.txt was not found on this server

<<< You say that the CGI program is in the cgi-bin directory - was that
directory there before, or did you create it yourself? >>>
I created the directory as part of the project.

<<< Are there any other cgi-bin directories in the web area on the server? >>>
No other cgi-bin directories in the Web area.

Todd

Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Dave Cross

Apologies for not replying sooner. This mailing list goes into a "read
when you're not too busy" folder :-/

On 18 November 2010 17:08, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2010 10:15 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
>
> It all depends very much on how the web server is configured. Do you
> know if the web server is configured to run CGI programs? Do you have
> access to the Apache configuration files? (Actually, is the server
> running Apache?)
>
> What value have you given the "action" attribute on the form element?
> You say that the CGI program is in the cgi-bin directory - was that
> directory there before, or did you create it yourself? Are there any
> other cgi-bin directories in the web area on the server?
>
> <<< Do you know if the web server is configured to run CGI programs? >>>
> The server is in my office running Centos 4, however I am not sure how to
> check to see if it is configured to run CGI.

By "web server", I meant the Apache software, not the operating system.

To see if your web server is configured to run CGI, you need to look
in your Apache configuration file (/etc/httpd/httpd.conf) and look for
lines that reference "cgi". You might well find lines like this
scattered through the file:

LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

> <<< Do you have access to the Apache configuration files? (Actually, is the
> server running Apache?) >>>
> Yes, it is running Apache and I have complete access.

That's good. The situation isn't impodsible then :-)

> <<< What value have you given the "action" attribute on the form element?
>>>>
> <form
> action="http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho/template.txt"
> method="post">
>
> The template.txt file is at
> http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/template.txt
>
> The cgi is at
> http://www.toddcary.com/srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho

This puzzles me. The action on a form attribute needs to point to an
executable file (or something that the web server can resolved to an
executable of some kind). Setting it to the path to a text file is
never going to work.

> This is the error:
> The requested URL /srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6/cgi-bin/cgiecho/template.txt was
> not found on this server

Ok, that means that your web server isn't mapping URLs to the
filesystem in the way that you think. If you put a test file in
srjc_CIS50_11B/lesson_6, can you see it in a browser?

> <<< You say that the CGI program is in the cgi-bin directory - was that
> directory there before, or did you create it yourself? >>>
> I created the directory as part of the project.

Ok, you can't do that. Just creating a directory called cgi-bin
doesn't automatically create a CGI directory. The web server needs to
be configured correctly to recognise that it's a CGI directory.

> <<< Are there any other cgi-bin directories in the web area on the server?
>>>>
> No other cgi-bin directories in the Web area.

Which perhaps indicates that the web server isn't expected to be used
for CGI programs. Who configured the server for you? Can you go to
them for help configuring the server to support CGI?

The standard Centos 5 Apache configuration puts the web root at
/var/www/html and the cgi-bin at /var/www/cgi-bin. If your server
isn't configured like that then it's hard to be much help without
seeing far more detail about the configuration.

Rather than posting a complete beginners course to CGI to the mailing
list, can I point you to a servers of tutorials that I wrote several
years ago.

http://mag-sol.com/articles/cgi1.html
http://mag-sol.com/articles/cgi2.html
http://mag-sol.com/articles/cgi3.html

Let me know if I can be any more help.

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Todd Cary

On 11/20/2010 10:24 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
> [...]
> doesn't automatically create a CGI directory. The web server needs to
> be configured correctly to recognise that it's a CGI directory.
>
>> <<< Are there any other cgi-bin directories in the web area on the server?
>> No other cgi-bin directories in the Web area.
> Which perhaps indicates that the web server isn't expected to be used
> for CGI programs. Who configured the server for you? Can you go to
> them for help configuring the server to support CGI?
>
> The standard Centos 5 Apache configuration puts the web root at
> /var/www/html and the cgi-bin at /var/www/cgi-bin. If your server
> isn't configured like that then it's hard to be much help without
> seeing far more detail about the configuration.
>
> Rather than posting a complete beginners course to CGI to the mailing
> list, can I point you to a servers of tutorials that I wrote several

Dave -

The docs say it has to be a text file:

http://shell4.tdl.com/techsupport/cgimail.html#template

Todd