Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Toralf Lund

Default Boot failure after install on IBM x3550 M3

RedShift wrote:
> On 11/11/10 16:39, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> RedShift wrote:

>>> What's the model and type? It should be xxxx-yyy where x can be 0-9 and y can be 0-9& A-z. You can find it on the front of the chassis.
>>>

>> It's 7944-K1G
>>
>> I've selected 7944 along with "System x" and "System x3550 M3" at
>> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/, but like I said, couldn't
>> find anything obvious.
>>
>> - Toralf
>>

> Search for UEFI firmware. Those IBM servers don't have a classic BIOS anymore, they are EFI based. I looked it up following your model/type and found the updates.
>

> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/systemx/quickorder?parent=ibm/Systemx3550M3&product=ibm/systemx/7944&&platform=All&function=fixId&fixids=ibm_fw_ue fi_d6e149a_linux_32-64&source=fc

Ah. Thanks.

I believe I missed that file because I searched for operating system
independent components (because firmware doesn't use the OS, right?),
but apparently I should have chosen some Linux variant instead.

Anyhow, I now think I've successfully installed this update, but
unfortunately, the system still won't boot :-( Maybe it's time to
contact our supplier...

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Toralf Lund

>> Search for UEFI firmware. Those IBM servers don't have a classic BIOS anymore, they are EFI based. I looked it up following your model/type and found the updates.
>>

>> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/systemx/quickorder?parent=ibm/Systemx3550M3&product=ibm/systemx/7944&&platform=All&function=fixId&fixids=ibm_fw_ue fi_d6e149a_linux_32-64&source=fc
>>

> Ah. Thanks.
>
> I believe I missed that file because I searched for operating system
> independent components (because firmware doesn't use the OS, right?),
> but apparently I should have chosen some Linux variant instead.

I should perhaps mention that I found a solution, sort of: It seems like
the problem is that the system simply won't boot from a single hard disk
set up as just that - a single, separate drive. I suspect this has
something to do with the disk/RAID controller firmware, but updating it
did not help. If, on the other hand, I define (from within the
controller setup screen) a "RAID" containing only one drive, everything
works just fine...

Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Rob Kampen

Toralf Lund wrote:

[...]

Try nodmraid on the kernel line in grub - I needed this after one of
the upgrades in the 5.x series.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Toralf Lund

Rob Kampen wrote:

>>> Ah. Thanks.
>>>
>>> I believe I missed that file because I searched for operating system
>>> independent components (because firmware doesn't use the OS, right?),
>>> but apparently I should have chosen some Linux variant instead.
>>>

>> I should perhaps mention that I found a solution, sort of: It seems like
>> the problem is that the system simply won't boot from a single hard disk
>> set up as just that - a single, separate drive. I suspect this has
>> something to do with the disk/RAID controller firmware, but updating it
>> did not help. If, on the other hand, I define (from within the
>> controller setup screen) a "RAID" containing only one drive, everything
>> works just fine...
>>
> Try nodmraid on the kernel line in grub - I needed this after one of
> the upgrades in the 5.x series.
The problem is that the system never gets to the grub stage, i.e. it
fails to boot from hard drive at the BIOS level, so as to speak.

- Toralf

Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/23/10 5:56 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:

>>> I should perhaps mention that I found a solution, sort of: It seems like
>>> the problem is that the system simply won't boot from a single hard disk
>>> set up as just that - a single, separate drive. I suspect this has
>>> something to do with the disk/RAID controller firmware, but updating it
>>> did not help. If, on the other hand, I define (from within the
>>> controller setup screen) a "RAID" containing only one drive, everything
>>> works just fine...
>>>
>> Try nodmraid on the kernel line in grub - I needed this after one of
>> the upgrades in the 5.x series.
> The problem is that the system never gets to the grub stage, i.e. it
> fails to boot from hard drive at the BIOS level, so as to speak.

I haven't installed on an M3 yet, but that was also the case in the original
3550 model with the aacraid controller. The bios only sees the volumes as they
are defined in the raid setup, even single drives. Another quirk I found was
that the disks remember their positions even if you move them. For example, I
cloned some drives with dd, and if I moved the one from the 2nd position into
the first bay in another machine and told the raid controller to 'accept' it
as-is, centos would see it as sdb (with the obvious confusing result when trying
to repeat the clone process on that machine...). If there is a way to avoid
this I'd like to know - initializing the drives was the slowest step of setting
these machines up.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Toralf Lund

Toralf Lund wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:

>>> I should perhaps mention that I found a solution, sort of: It seems like
>>> the problem is that the system simply won't boot from a single hard disk
>>> set up as just that - a single, separate drive. I suspect this has
>>> something to do with the disk/RAID controller firmware, but updating it
>>> did not help. If, on the other hand, I define (from within the
>>> controller setup screen) a "RAID" containing only one drive, everything
>>> works just fine...
>>>

>> Try nodmraid on the kernel line in grub - I needed this after one of
>> the upgrades in the 5.x series.
>>
> The problem is that the system never gets to the grub stage, i.e. it
> fails to boot from hard drive at the BIOS level, so as to speak.

Of course, this probably means the problem isn't related to CentOS at
all, but I didn't quite realise that when I posted the original question...