Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Nastou Panagiotis

Default gmp package installation on CentOS 5.2

Hello,

Last year, I installed CentOS 5.2 on an HP Proliant Server. Along with other packages, the gmp and gmp-devel version 4.1.4 packages were installed. To the best of my knowledge these packages do not come from the gmp team.
Recently, I built an rpm package for gmp 5.0.1 for CentOS 5.2. I tried to update the gmp package by command

rpm -Uvh gmp-5.0.1-1.x86_64.rpm

but the update failed because the libgmp.so.3, libgmpxx.so.3 and the libmp.so.3 are needed from
gcc-gfortran, php, php-cli, guile and gmp-devel packages.

What kind of dependency exists between these packages and gmp?
Could I forced the update without affecting the operation of the above packages?

Since It is better to compile gmp 5.0.1 with the more recent gnu c compiler,
is it safe to update gcc, gcc-gfortran and gcc-c++ on CentOS 5.2 to the more recent version appeared for CentOS 5.5?

Regards,

Panagiotis Nastou,
Dpt of Mathematics
University of Aegean
Karlovasi, Samos, Greece

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Mark Pryor

> Last year, I installed CentOS 5.2 on an HP Proliant Server.
> Along with other packages, the gmp and gmp-devel version
> 4.1.4 packages were installed. To the best of my knowledge
> these packages do not come from the gmp team.

Install yum-utils,
yum install yum-utils
then do
yumdownloader --source gmp
(or grab the SRPM from a centos mirror)

rpm -i gmp-*-src.rpm

then go into
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES (not sure here-- its your expected buildroot)

and you will see that there is a bz2 from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gmp/
and another from mpfr.org.

To rebuild the gmp SRPM in the centos way, you should download the versions of those 2 bz2 files and edit the gmp.spec (../SPECS) to reflect that version

cd ../SPECS
rpmbuild -ba gmp.spec

--
Mark