Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Warren Young

Default memory upgrade cost (was: RHEL 6 Officially Released)

> It does not pay to replace the memory on these test systems. I
> can pick up 1Gb used SFF systems for about the same price as 512Mb
> memory for these old boxes.

How much time (money) do you spend waiting on installers to run, when
you force them to use 100x slower memory, a.k.a. swap? What about the
run time of your test application? Are you sure it never hits swap?

I obviously don't know which SFF box you have, but I just put a random
Shuttle model number into crucial.com and it told me a 1 GB upgrade (512
MB matched pair) is $50. You're not going to save an hour or two of
company time over the expected lifetime of these machines? Really?