Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Rainer Duffner

Default http form automation tools?

Am 11.11.2010 um 19:22 schrieb Les Mikesell:

> I need to grab some data from a remote web server that offers a csv
> download but only after viewing a chart where you have to first
> navigate
> to a form and make some selections. Are there any good tools for
> automating this kind of access?

Good is maybe an exaggeration, but there is the p5-www-Mechanize series.
But Ruby can be used, too.

Haven't done much with this, though.
Usually, people on the nagios-mailinglists are more deep into this...

Rainer

Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/11/2010 12:51 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 11.11.2010 um 19:22 schrieb Les Mikesell:
>
>> I need to grab some data from a remote web server that offers a csv
>> download but only after viewing a chart where you have to first
>> navigate
>> to a form and make some selections. Are there any good tools for
>> automating this kind of access?
>

> Good is maybe an exaggeration, but there is the p5-www-Mechanize series.
> But Ruby can be used, too.
>
> Haven't done much with this, though.
> Usually, people on the nagios-mailinglists are more deep into this...

Thanks - using the perl HTTP::Recorder along with HTTP::Proxy modules to
record a session and generate the script for WWW::Mechanize looked
really promising but didn't quite work out because it couldn't handle
the Javascript on the page with an intermediate form.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com