Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Deyan Stoykov

Default future modprobe.conf

Jerry Geis wrote:
> centos 5 had modprobe.conf entries for eth0 and if present eth1.
> something like:
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias eth1 e1000e
>
> For the new centos 6 (I have the rhel 6 client installed on my laptop)
> the modprobe.conf file is gone. Which is fine. I understand files can be
> created in /etc/modprobe.d and server the same purpose.
>
> My question is I dont see (doing a grep) any eth0 alias's in the files
> in /etc/modprobe.d/*
>
> My reason is when I have a system with 2 ethernet cards I used to have
> to specify the order
> of loading. Like:
> install e1000e /sbin/modprobe forcedeth; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> e1000e
>
> So I used to grep for eth0 and eth1 do get the module names from
> modprobe.conf.

You should specify the MAC address of the NIC in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX like this:

HWADDR=90:E6:BA:74:E5:E6

This is the proper way to do it since at least CentOS 5. Also works in
case you use 2 NICs that use the same driver.

HTH,
Deyan

--
Deyan Stoykov, dstoykov@uni-ruse.bg
System administrator

Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:20:47 am Jerry Geis wrote:
> So I used to grep for eth0 and eth1 do get the module names from
> modprobe.conf.

> How do I get that information in RHEL 6 since it doesnt seem to be there.

> Thanks, (just trying to prepare)

I would think it would work like Fedora 12+; load a F12/13/14 up and start looking. For that matter, CentOS 5 also, as HWADDR has been supported for a long time (in the ifcfg-ethX files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).

Using a recursive grep for eth0 in /etc on my F14 laptop, I find:
udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:15:c5:aa:bb:cc", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

So it looks like udev is doing these assignments, and by MAC address rather than bus enumeration (a mixed blessing!).

I also see:
sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0EVICE="eth0"
so that mechanism is still there.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Robert Heller

> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > centos 5 had modprobe.conf entries for eth0 and if present eth1.
> > something like:
> > alias eth0 forcedeth
> > alias eth1 e1000e
> >
> > For the new centos 6 (I have the rhel 6 client installed on my laptop)
> > the modprobe.conf file is gone. Which is fine. I understand files can be
> > created in /etc/modprobe.d and server the same purpose.
> >
> > My question is I dont see (doing a grep) any eth0 alias's in the files
> > in /etc/modprobe.d/*
> >
> > My reason is when I have a system with 2 ethernet cards I used to have
> > to specify the order
> > of loading. Like:
> > install e1000e /sbin/modprobe forcedeth; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> > e1000e
> >
> > So I used to grep for eth0 and eth1 do get the module names from
> > modprobe.conf.
>
> You should specify the MAC address of the NIC in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX like this:
>
> HWADDR=90:E6:BA:74:E5:E6
>
> This is the proper way to do it since at least CentOS 5. Also works in

Since at least RH 7.3 actually...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> centos 5 had modprobe.conf entries for eth0 and if present eth1.
> something like:
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias eth1 e1000e
>
> For the new centos 6 (I have the rhel 6 client installed on my laptop)
> the modprobe.conf file is gone. Which is fine. I understand files can be
> created in /etc/modprobe.d and server the same purpose.
>
> My question is I dont see (doing a grep) any eth0 alias's in the files
> in /etc/modprobe.d/*
>
> My reason is when I have a system with 2 ethernet cards I used to have
> to specify the order
> of loading. Like:
> install e1000e /sbin/modprobe forcedeth; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> e1000e
>
> So I used to grep for eth0 and eth1 do get the module names from
> modprobe.conf.

Pseudo one-word answer: udev