Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM
cornel panceac

Default Boot failure after install on IBM x3550 M3

2010/11/11 Toralf Lund <toralf.lund@pgs.com>

I'm trying to install CentOS 5.5 on a couple of servers of type IBM

System x3550 M3, but it's not going too well. Actually, the install

setup phase runs as expected, and the actual installation also appears

to be successful, but the system will not boot - I just get a message

(presumably) from BIOS saying that boot from hard disk 0. If I start the

installer again after this, or boot rescue mode off the install DVD, the

installation is correctly found, however.

Does anyone have any idea what may cause this and/or how I can fix the

problem? Or is there at least anyone out there who has tried CentOS on

the same type of hardware?

Note that I've tried (re)installing several times, and also tested

CentOS 5.4, but the result is always the same. I've also used CentOS

without any problems on an x3550 M2, i.e. a slightly older variant of

the hardware. I've (so far) installed with the default disk layout and

package selection.

- Toralf

it may be that grub was not installed.

--
When one door is closed, another is open.
(Robert Nesta Marley)

Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 PM
RedShift

On 11/11/10 14:22, Toralf Lund wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.5 on a couple of servers of type IBM
> System x3550 M3, but it's not going too well. Actually, the install
> setup phase runs as expected, and the actual installation also appears
> to be successful, but the system will not boot - I just get a message
> (presumably) from BIOS saying that boot from hard disk 0. If I start the
> installer again after this, or boot rescue mode off the install DVD, the
> installation is correctly found, however.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what may cause this and/or how I can fix the
> problem? Or is there at least anyone out there who has tried CentOS on
> the same type of hardware?
>
> Note that I've tried (re)installing several times, and also tested
> CentOS 5.4, but the result is always the same. I've also used CentOS
> without any problems on an x3550 M2, i.e. a slightly older variant of
> the hardware. I've (so far) installed with the default disk layout and
> package selection.
>
> - Toralf

Make sure all the firmware is up to date. I've had an IBM x3550 M3 and it couldn't even boot a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit CD with the firmware it shipped with.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Rob Del Vecchio

>*it may be that grub was not installed.*
I agree; also double check that the drive you installed CentOS on is the drive that you're booting from?
>*I've (so far) installed with the default disk layout and*package selection.

You may want to try specifying a /boot partition.

If all else fails, I've found this guide very useful
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/grub.html

You'll probably want this section:*http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-natively

Hope this helps,Rob

Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Toralf Lund

Rob Del Vecchio wrote:
> > it may be that grub was not installed.
I did try "grub-install" from Rescue Mode, but it made no difference.

> I agree; also double check that the drive you installed CentOS on is
> the drive that you're booting from?

I don't think I have more than one drive, but I'll check more closely...

> > I've (so far) installed with the default disk layout and package
> selection.
>
> You may want to try specifying a /boot partition.
Isn't that added by default?

> If all else fails, I've found this guide very useful
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/grub.html
>
> You'll probably want this
> section: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-natively
I'll have a look. Thanks.

- Toralf

> Hope this helps,
> Rob

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Toralf Lund

RedShift wrote:
> On 11/11/10 14:22, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.5 on a couple of servers of type IBM
>> System x3550 M3, but it's not going too well. Actually, the install
>> setup phase runs as expected, and the actual installation also appears
>> to be successful, but the system will not boot [ ... ]
>>

> Make sure all the firmware is up to date. I've had an IBM x3550 M3 and it couldn't even boot a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit CD with the firmware it shipped with.

That seems like a useful tip, but do you know what exactly I need to
install and where to find it? I'm looking at an IBM download page right
now, but it's a little confusing - I can't seem to find anything that
it's obviously the *system* firmware, only entries like "Firmware for
Rack & Tower LCD UPS" and " Firmware for Local Console Manager".

- Toralf

Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
RedShift

On 11/11/10 16:25, Toralf Lund wrote:
> RedShift wrote:
>> On 11/11/10 14:22, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.5 on a couple of servers of type IBM
>>> System x3550 M3, but it's not going too well. Actually, the install
>>> setup phase runs as expected, and the actual installation also appears
>>> to be successful, but the system will not boot [ ... ]
>>>

>> Make sure all the firmware is up to date. I've had an IBM x3550 M3 and it couldn't even boot a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit CD with the firmware it shipped with.
>>
> That seems like a useful tip, but do you know what exactly I need to
> install and where to find it? I'm looking at an IBM download page right
> now, but it's a little confusing - I can't seem to find anything that
> it's obviously the *system* firmware, only entries like "Firmware for
> Rack& Tower LCD UPS" and " Firmware for Local Console Manager".
>
> - Toralf

What's the model and type? It should be xxxx-yyy where x can be 0-9 and y can be 0-9 & A-z. You can find it on the front of the chassis.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Toralf Lund

RedShift wrote:
> On 11/11/10 16:25, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> RedShift wrote:

>>> Make sure all the firmware is up to date. I've had an IBM x3550 M3 and it couldn't even boot a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit CD with the firmware it shipped with.
>>>

>> That seems like a useful tip, but do you know what exactly I need to
>> install and where to find it? I'm looking at an IBM download page right
>> now, but it's a little confusing - I can't seem to find anything that
>> it's obviously the *system* firmware, only entries like "Firmware for
>> Rack& Tower LCD UPS" and " Firmware for Local Console Manager".
>>
>> - Toralf
>>

> What's the model and type? It should be xxxx-yyy where x can be 0-9 and y can be 0-9 & A-z. You can find it on the front of the chassis.

It's 7944-K1G

I've selected 7944 along with "System x" and "System x3550 M3" at
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/, but like I said, couldn't
find anything obvious.

- Toralf

Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/11/2010 9:39 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
> RedShift wrote:

>>> That seems like a useful tip, but do you know what exactly I need to
>>> install and where to find it? I'm looking at an IBM download page right
>>> now, but it's a little confusing - I can't seem to find anything that
>>> it's obviously the *system* firmware, only entries like "Firmware for
>>> Rack& Tower LCD UPS" and " Firmware for Local Console Manager".
>>>
>>> - Toralf
>>>

>> What's the model and type? It should be xxxx-yyy where x can be 0-9 and y can be 0-9& A-z. You can find it on the front of the chassis.
>>
> It's 7944-K1G
>
> I've selected 7944 along with "System x" and "System x3550 M3" at
> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/, but like I said, couldn't
> find anything obvious.

There's a bunch of stuff under the 'operating system independent'
selection there, including some sas and serverRAID updates. But what
I've usually found for earlier IBM models was everything on a bootable
cd or dvd image that would figure out what you needed and update it all
at once. Not sure where to find it for this model, though.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
RedShift

On 11/11/10 16:39, Toralf Lund wrote:
> RedShift wrote:

>>> That seems like a useful tip, but do you know what exactly I need to
>>> install and where to find it? I'm looking at an IBM download page right
>>> now, but it's a little confusing - I can't seem to find anything that
>>> it's obviously the *system* firmware, only entries like "Firmware for
>>> Rack& Tower LCD UPS" and " Firmware for Local Console Manager".
>>>
>>> - Toralf
>>>

>> What's the model and type? It should be xxxx-yyy where x can be 0-9 and y can be 0-9& A-z. You can find it on the front of the chassis.
>>
> It's 7944-K1G
>
> I've selected 7944 along with "System x" and "System x3550 M3" at
> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/, but like I said, couldn't
> find anything obvious.
>
> - Toralf

Search for UEFI firmware. Those IBM servers don't have a classic BIOS anymore, they are EFI based. I looked it up following your model/type and found the updates.

http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/systemx/quickorder?parent=ibm/Systemx3550M3&product=ibm/systemx/7944&&platform=All&function=fixId&fixids=ibm_fw_ue fi_d6e149a_linux_32-64&source=fc