Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Toralf Lund

Default Boot failure after install on IBM x3550 M3

I'm trying to install CentOS 5.5 on a couple of servers of type IBM
System x3550 M3, but it's not going too well. Actually, the install
setup phase runs as expected, and the actual installation also appears
to be successful, but the system will not boot - I just get a message
(presumably) from BIOS saying that boot from hard disk 0. If I start the
installer again after this, or boot rescue mode off the install DVD, the
installation is correctly found, however.

Does anyone have any idea what may cause this and/or how I can fix the
problem? Or is there at least anyone out there who has tried CentOS on
the same type of hardware?

Note that I've tried (re)installing several times, and also tested
CentOS 5.4, but the result is always the same. I've also used CentOS
without any problems on an x3550 M2, i.e. a slightly older variant of
the hardware. I've (so far) installed with the default disk layout and
package selection.

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.