Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Default Re-export an NFS mount from another machine for roaming profiles

Robert Heller wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> In my office I have a server running CentOS 5.5. I have Apache+PHP+MySQL
>> running on that server, and I'm exporting /var/www/html, so I can mount
it on my
>> main desktop with NFS.
<snip>
>> Now I'm thinking about configuring a few roaming profiles here with
>> NIS/NFS, using 'babasse' as my main machine. In that case, I would export
>> babasse's full /home to the local network, and then configure
authentication with
>> NIS.
>>
>> I wonder if it can be a problem when one of the directories, in that
>> case /home/kikinovak/Sites, is already an NFS mount. I can't really
figure it
>> out, but I guess I vaguely fear some situation similar to the one
displayes
>> in "Being John Malkovich", where John Malkovich enters the secret trapdoor
>> to his own thoughts.
>>
>> Thought I'd better ask before doing something silly.
>
> NFS is not going to be happy about exporting a nfs mounted file system
> -- actually it just won't do it. If some machine foo mounts

I ran into this when I was working with glusterfs earlier this year - in
my case, the glusterfs was on the nodes of a cluster, and I wanted to
allow it to be mounted from the head node, and not have to talk to all the
nodes. The answer was unfs, which *will* re-export. I *think* NFS v4 will
also do reexports.

mark