Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
robert mena

Default Oracle charging for InnoDB support in MySQL : what is going to change for us?

Hi,
I've noticed that Oracle is charging for the MySQL version that supports InnoDB (http://www.mysql.com/products/). *I could not find any other link with direct confirmation of what is going to change for the existing servers/versions and I was wondering if anybody has a more detailed info.

For example, is RHEL (and CentOS) going to drop support for it? * Are we going to see any further updates for security issues?*

Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 11/10/2010 9:28 AM, robert mena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that Oracle is charging for the MySQL version that
> supports InnoDB (http://www.mysql.com/products/). I could not find
> any other link with direct confirmation of what is going to change for
> the existing servers/versions and I was wondering if anybody has a
> more detailed info.
>
> For example, is RHEL (and CentOS) going to drop support for it? Are
> we going to see any further updates for security issues?

I don't see anything on that site that says they are charging for
InnoDB. Actually, on the detail page for the free MySQL Community
Edition, I see this:

The MySQL Community Edition includes:

* Pluggable Storage Engine Architecture
* Multiple Storage Engines:
o InnoDB
o MyISAM
o NDB (MySQL Cluster)
o Memory
o Merge
o Archive
o CSV
o and more

--
Bowie

Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 9:28 AM, robert mena wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed that Oracle is charging for the MySQL version that
>> supports InnoDB (http://www.mysql.com/products/). I could not find
>> any other link with direct confirmation of what is going to change for
>> the existing servers/versions and I was wondering if anybody has a
>> more detailed info.
>>
>> For example, is RHEL (and CentOS) going to drop support for it? Are
>> we going to see any further updates for security issues?
>
> I don't see anything on that site that says they are charging for
> InnoDB. Actually, on the detail page for the free MySQL Community
> Edition, I see this:
<snip>

Wonder if it's that they charge for support, from them, on InnoDB, not for
the engine itself. I mean, it was GPL'd what, five or more years ago.

mark

Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Wonder if it's that they charge for support, from them, on
> InnoDB, not for the engine itself. I mean, it was GPL'd
> what, five or more years ago.

As to already fielded sources under the GPL, they will persist
under the GPL, or course

BUT ... you may wish to read all the files in:
/usr/share/doc/mysql-5.0.77/

-- Russ herrold

Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Nataraj

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>

>> Wonder if it's that they charge for support, from them, on
>> InnoDB, not for the engine itself. I mean, it was GPL'd
>> what, five or more years ago.
>>

> As to already fielded sources under the GPL, they will persist
> under the GPL, or course
>
> BUT ... you may wish to read all the files in:
> /usr/share/doc/mysql-5.0.77/
>
> -- Russ herrold

I've noticed that the original author/founder of MySQL has created a new
open source backward-compatible replacement for MySQL.
I have not yet had a chance to try it, but intend to do so. See
http://montyprogram.com/mariadb/

Nataraj