Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Re-export an NFS mount from another machine for roaming profiles

Hi,

In my office I have a server running CentOS 5.5. I have Apache+PHP+MySQL running
on that server, and I'm exporting /var/www/html, so I can mount it on my main
desktop with NFS.

Server : grossebertha
Desktop : babasse

[root@babasse:~] # mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /Disque2 type ext4 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
grossebertha:/var/www/html on /home/kikinovak/Sites type nfs
(rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,addr=192.1 68.1.252)

Now I'm thinking about configuring a few roaming profiles here with NIS/NFS,
using 'babasse' as my main machine. In that case, I would export babasse's
full /home to the local network, and then configure authentication with NIS.

I wonder if it can be a problem when one of the directories, in that case
/home/kikinovak/Sites, is already an NFS mount. I can't really figure it out,
but I guess I vaguely fear some situation similar to the one displayes in
"Being John Malkovich", where John Malkovich enters the secret trapdoor to his
own thoughts.

Thought I'd better ask before doing something silly.

Cheers,

Niki
--
http://www.kikinovak.net