Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Default Flash plugin not working

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg a Úcrit :
>

>> anything in aboutlugins ? (type that in your address bar in firefox)
>
> Yeah, first thing I checked. Everything seems fine :
>
> Shockwave Flash

yep looks good.
anything in dmesg after it fails?
or could it be selinux maybe?
otherwise no further ideas, good luck

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Niki Kovacs

Przemys┼éaw Pawe┼éczyk a ├ęcrit :

> Why do you use flash-plugin? Use the latest lib from Adobe.
>
> 32 and 64 bit versions of latest "flashes":
> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
>
> My flash:
> Shockwave Flash 10.2 d161 (from aboutlugins in web browser)

I tried what you suggested. Removed flash-plugin, installed development
version. When I open aboutlugins, I have this :

Shockwave Flash

Fichier : libflashplayer.so
Version :
Shockwave Flash 10.2 d161

But still, no videos can be played. Whenever I go on snotr.com,
youtube.com or the likes, I either get a blank space where the video
should be, or a black square the size of the video, but nothing in it.

I tried this on two fresh installs on two different machines, with the
same result.

I'm clueless.

Niki

Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/08/10 2:28 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> But still, no videos can be played. Whenever I go on snotr.com,
> youtube.com or the likes, I either get a blank space where the video
> should be, or a black square the size of the video, but nothing in it.
>
> I tried this on two fresh installs on two different machines, with the
> same result.

I had similar problems on netbook using the Poulsbro chipset. Couldn't
find any solution, even using Fedorka.latest. gave up and put the
windows HD back in the netbook.

what I'm trying to suggest is, this could possibly be an issue with your
X-Windows graphics adapter driver. In my case, it was the poulsbo
graphics driver, which is known experimental and sub-par.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:33:14 -0800
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 11/08/10 2:28 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > But still, no videos can be played. Whenever I go on snotr.com,
> > youtube.com or the likes, I either get a blank space where the video
> > should be, or a black square the size of the video, but nothing in
> > it.
> >
> > I tried this on two fresh installs on two different machines, with
> > the same result.
>
> I had similar problems on netbook using the Poulsbro chipset.
> Couldn't find any solution, even using Fedorka.latest. gave up and
> put the windows HD back in the netbook.
>
> what I'm trying to suggest is, this could possibly be an issue with
> your X-Windows graphics adapter driver. In my case, it was the
> poulsbo graphics driver, which is known experimental and sub-par.

Hi,

Did you (Niki) try to d/load any flv from youtube.com and run it with
(s)mplayer for example?

Perhaps try to change video driver or set up VBox, install CentOS in it,
and then smplayer. VBox has excellent vesa driver and CentOS is
very good host to run VBox with other systems.

What did google say when asked for black flash film frames?

Regards

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Niki Kovacs

Przemys┼éaw Pawe┼éczyk a ├ęcrit :

> Did you (Niki) try to d/load any flv from youtube.com and run it with
> (s)mplayer for example?
>
> Perhaps try to change video driver or set up VBox, install CentOS in it,
> and then smplayer. VBox has excellent vesa driver and CentOS is
> very good host to run VBox with other systems.
>
> What did google say when asked for black flash film frames?
>
> Regards

I tried this on four differents machines here. It's a computer training
room, so there's plenty of ready Linux installs on a Ghost server.

Flash works on any one of these machines with Fedora, openSUSE and Arch.
So it's not the hardware.

Fresh install of CentOS with RPMForge configured and flash-plugin
installed : Flash fails everywhere. Same result with flash-plugin from
the Adobe repo.

Still more clueless than before )

Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Tru Huynh

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 07:47:06AM +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Fresh install of CentOS with RPMForge configured and flash-plugin
> installed : Flash fails everywhere. Same result with flash-plugin from
> the Adobe repo.
>
> Still more clueless than before )

It just works for me on x86_64 CentOS-5.5:
about:
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101028 CentOS/3.6-2.el5.centos Firefox/3.6.11
aboutlugins:
NPAPI Plugins Wrapper 1.3.0
File: npwrapper.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_22
File: libnpjp2.so
Shockwave Flash
File: nswrapper_32_64.libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
Adobe Reader 9.4
File: nswrapper_32_64.nppdf.so

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)

Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 07:47:06 +0100
Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> I tried this on four differents machines here. It's a computer
> training room, so there's plenty of ready Linux installs on a Ghost
> server.
>
> Flash works on any one of these machines with Fedora, openSUSE and
> Arch. So it's not the hardware.
>
> Fresh install of CentOS with RPMForge configured and flash-plugin
> installed : Flash fails everywhere. Same result with flash-plugin
> from the Adobe repo.
>
> Still more clueless than before )

Hmmm...

I have found one day that some libraries or apps NOT installed albeit
being installed are treated by systems as INSTALLED. Check if ALL
ancillary apps/libs to flash were installed.

All of us with installed RHEL (me Scientific Linux) has no problem with
Flash. I must assume that you lost something during installation.

Perhaps yours is that special case about which wrote Mr John R
Pierce - "I had similar problems on netbook using the Poulsbro chipset.
Couldn't find any solution, even using Fedorka.latest. gave up and put
the windows HD back in the netbook."

I would do the following things:

1. Try LiveCD (any) to run Flash on your hardware.
2. Install the LiveCD to check if new system will run on your PC.
3. Install CentOS once more to ****base**** system then, watching
carefully, only the apps needed to run (s)mplayer to check if multimedia
are working OK.
4. Install Flash.
5. Change graphics card when working in CentOS. ???

Heck, there's no magic in PC's software there! ;-)

BTW. You cannot run Flash, what about other multimedia files (stand
alone plus in web browsers' frames)?

Regards

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM
John Doe

Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> I tried this on four differents machines here. It's a computer
> training room, so there's plenty of ready Linux installs on a Ghost
> server.
> Flash works on any one of these machines with Fedora, openSUSE and
> Arch. So it's not the hardware.
> Fresh install of CentOS with RPMForge configured and flash-plugin
> installed : Flash fails everywhere. Same result with flash-plugin
> from the Adobe repo.
> Still more clueless than before )

If you do a ps, do you see the 'plugin-container' and/or 'npviewer.bin'
processes?
Maybe strace them...
Tried with another browser (opera, etc...)?

JD

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Le mardi 9 novembre 2010 12:08:54, Przemys┼éaw Pawe┼éczyk a ├ęcrit :

> Perhaps yours is that special case about which wrote Mr John R
> Pierce - "I had similar problems on netbook using the Poulsbro chipset.
> Couldn't find any solution, even using Fedorka.latest. gave up and put
> the windows HD back in the netbook."

I've been a happy CentOS user for the last three years, and I'd say: almost
exclusively. The *almost* is explained by the odd irrational panic behaviour
on my behalf, which mostly consists of wanting to replace my whole fine setup
by <insert_other_distribution_here>, only because this particular distribution
doesn't have the same problem... but a wealth of other problems, as I am soon
to discover in the days to come. This usually happens late at night or early
in the morning, in the wake of the combined effects of sleep (lack) and caffeine
(excess). Invariably, I come "home" to CentOS, with an embarrassed feeling of
unfaithful-husband-returning-home-after-a-dirty-weekend-somewhere-else. I
suspect some folks on this list have similar experiences.

Anyway, this morning, I tried a fresh install of CentOS 5.5, installed the
Flash plugin from RPMForge, which didn't work. So I simply reverted to the
previous version (Flash 9 instead of 10) which works fine for me. Added the
according exclude=flash-plugin line in /etc/yum.conf, and life is sunny again.

Cheers from my little village on a hill.

Niki Kovacs
--
http://www.kikinovak.net