Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Andreas Reschke

Default Antwort: large numbers of linux system user for postfix

+

> >> virtualmin + virtual user with linux system user. the virtual
user

> >> may reach to thousands user from several hundreds virtual
domains.

> > That shouldn't be a problem. *Postfix has had support for
this for

> > well over a decade.

> >> what i concern is large numbers of linux system user which
used in

> >> these setup, is it good or bad?

> > Virtual users with a Postfix/Dovecot installation does not equate

> > real Linux/shell accounts. *If the only service being provided
is

> > mail, then there's no reason to create real accounts.

> Ben,

> the problem is we would use webmin + virtualmin
as an interface for

> costumers to manage their domain (mainly emails) on the server and

> virtualmin don't use/support mysql + vpopmail yet, at least that what

> i understand at this moment.

> virtualmin choose to use unix system user with
postfix, so if i create

> an email then it create one unix system user too, this is what i'm

> concern, since i don't have any information about what happen to

> linux/centos if these unix system user growing bigger and bigger to

> reach some thousands users for an example.

> >> maybe somebody would share their experience
about this setup ?

> >> any links would be good.

> >> postfix 2.6.7

> >> dovecot 2.0.6

> >> centos 5.x

> > Is there any particular reason you've chosen these versions?
*That is,

> > are there specific functions which these versions provide that
are not

> > in prior versions?

> > I ask because I'm running these versions in CentOS 5.x:

> > postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2.i386

> > dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5.i386

> > If the only concern is security updates, these are backported
to the

> > current versions in CentOS.

> no particular reason, i just new to postfix,
currently i'm qmail +

> vpopmail admin.

> i read on postfix and dovecot website about latest stable release
and

> i installed from source

> i know that centos have postfix + dovecot + mysql as a rpm package.

> >> webmin + virtualmin

> > I've had no experience with either of these as I edit the config
files

> > with a text editor.

> these webmin + virtualmin mainly for user interface
to manage their

> domain on the server (just like control panel on hosting server)

> > Regards,

> > Ben

> > --

> > Ben McGinnes *http://www.adversary.org/
*Twitter: benmcginnes

> > * *Systems Administrator, Writer, ICT Consultant

> > Encrypted email preferred - primary OpenPGP/GPG key: 0xA04AE313

> > http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x371AC5BFA04AE313

> http://blog.rizahnst.org

for those setups I dont't use webmin and usermin.
I have only 1 user (vmail) und the administration of all domains, user
I'm doing with postfixadmin.

Regards,

Andreas