Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Robert Heller

Default obtaining non-packaged software

> I have been using Fedora on my home desktop for close to an year, and
> I am happy with it, nevertheless I am considering switching to a
> slower-moving distro.
>
> CentOS + EPEL put together have less packages than Fedora. Moreover
> RPM Fusion has fewer packages for EL than for Fedora. I am wondering
> how can I install on my PC applications for which packages do not
> exist from one of the above-mentioned repos.
>
> I can go upstream, get sources and build them. It is a good solution,
> I do that even with Fedora, however this can mean a lot of work when a
> package depends on 10 others.
>
> So I wonder what do other CentOS users do in a similar situation? Is
> it possible to get a Fedora binary package and install it? What about
> getting a Fedora source package, building and installing it? Is there
> any other possibility?

RPMForge has a lot of packages (but be careful!). rpmbone has more.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Piscium

On 6 November 2010 12:00, Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org> wrote:

> I use CentOS + EPEL as a base and include specific packages from
> RPMForge, using *includepkgs in the /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
> file.
>
> For example my (very personal) package list from RPMForge:

Thanks a lot for the detailed and helpful answer. You answered all my questions!

In particular I had never heard of RPMForge, I will check it.

> An approach is then to look at earlier Fedora versions until you find
> a version of the software which is still compatible with the CentOS
> libraries.
> CentOS is more or less compatible with Fedora 6, but I found that up
> to Fedora 9 most packages rebuild easily

I checked my local mirror and it has packages from Fedora 7 onwards,
so there seem to be a way.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> In particular I had never heard of RPMForge, I will check it.

Also check ElRepo for up to date drivers (e.g. NVIDIA):
http://elrepo.org

More generally the CentOS wiki is a very helpful resource, e.g.:
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Piscium

On 6 November 2010 12:57, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:

> RPMForge has a lot of packages (but be careful!). *rpmbone has more.

Careful about what?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 13:31, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using Fedora on my home desktop for close to an year, and
> I am happy with it, nevertheless I am considering switching to a
> slower-moving distro.
>
> CentOS + EPEL put together have less packages than Fedora. Moreover
> RPM Fusion has fewer packages for EL than for Fedora. I am wondering
> how can I install on my PC applications for which packages do not
> exist from one of the above-mentioned repos.
>
> I can go upstream, get sources and build them. It is a good solution,
> I do that even with Fedora, however this can mean a lot of work when a
> package depends on 10 others.
>
> So I wonder what do other CentOS users do in a similar situation? Is
> it possible to get a Fedora binary package and install it? What about
> getting a Fedora source package, building and installing it? Is there
> any other possibility?

Are there any specific applications that you need but are not
available in the CentOS repos, or just in general? My experience is
that I had to build Anki [1], as no current version was available for
either CentOS or Fedora.

[1] http://ichi2.net/anki/#linux

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Mathieu Baudier

>> RPMForge has a lot of packages (but be careful!). *rpmbone has more.
>
> Careful about what?

Third-party repos sometimes conflict.
For example if you activate both EPEL and RPMForge fully, it is very
likely that your perl-* packages will be a complete mess.

That's why I personally followed the approach of enabling EPEL
(almost) fully and then include RPMForge packages one by one (see my
previous mail)

It could be done the other way around, using primarily RPMForge and
then picking up EPEL packages one by one.
RPMForge is "stronger" on multimedia, up-to-date versions etc., but
EPEL is a Fedora project and many packages have the same maintainer in
EPEL and Fedora. So, by using it you stay more in the "Red Hat
family", since RHEL (and thus CentOS) releases are based on Fedora.

A recommended approach is also to use the yum priorities plugin:
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Piscium

On 6 November 2010 13:22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any specific applications that you need but are not
> available in the CentOS repos, or just in general? My experience is
> that I had to build Anki [1], as no current version was available for
> either CentOS or Fedora.

I like Tomboy, which in turn requires the mono stack, and neither is
available on CentOS nor EPEL. I could use gnote as an alternative,
though, it also is not available at those two repos either.

And I use the Flash player and Acrobat reader from the Adobe repo. Can
they be used on CentOS?

And I like to listen to radio over the Internet, so I use different
streaming protocols, codecs and players plugged in to Firefox.

So yes, with codecs, flash, players and so on I am asking for trouble.
I would say half of the reliability issues I have with Fedora are
related to Firefox and media plugins and codecs. Hopefully with CentOS
I would have less Gnome issues and kernel oops.

Anyway, Fedora 12 was very reliable on my hardware, but I have a
number of issues with Fedora 13. I could try to upgrade to Fedora 14
but perhaps I will wait instead for CentOS 6. Apparently it is largely
based on Fedora 12 so I would expect it would work well on my PC.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Piscium

On 6 November 2010 13:57, Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org> wrote:

> Third-party repos sometimes conflict.
> For example if you activate both EPEL and RPMForge fully, it is very
> likely that your perl-* packages will be a complete mess.
>
> That's why I personally followed the approach of enabling EPEL
> (almost) fully and then include RPMForge packages one by one (see my
> previous mail)
>
> It could be done the other way around, using primarily RPMForge and
> then picking up EPEL packages one by one.
> RPMForge is "stronger" on multimedia, up-to-date versions etc., but
> EPEL is a Fedora project and many packages have the same maintainer in
> EPEL and Fedora. So, by using it you stay more in the "Red Hat
> family", since RHEL (and thus CentOS) releases are based on Fedora.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. In fact I also had the same problem
with Fedora, whereby some Atrpms packages conflicted with those from
mainline Fedora or RPM Fusion, so I ended up disabling Atrpms and
enabling it only when grabbing individual packages.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Robert Heller

> On 6 November 2010 12:57, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > RPMForge has a lot of packages (but be careful!). *rpmbone has more.
>
> Careful about what?

Conflicts with EPel and 'interesting' dependency issues. So long as you
do things like use priorities and don't leave RPMForge enabled by
default and only enable it on the command line when you install specific
packages. Or explicitly list the packages you are getting from RPMForge.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:31:18 +0000
Piscium wrote:

> So I wonder what do other CentOS users do in a similar situation? Is
> it possible to get a Fedora binary package and install it? What about
> getting a Fedora source package, building and installing it? Is there
> any other possibility?

For a few programs that don't seem to be (readily) available for
Centos I just take some steps to create/compile my own rpm. Sometimes all it
takes is a simple "rpmbuild --rebuild" command on a Fedora rpm, sometimes it
takes a bit more than that.

You can find "my" Centos rpms here:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el5/index.html