-   -   xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/448778-xserves-dead-san-question.html)

"Nicolas Ross" 11-05-2010 10:34 PM

xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question

Hi !

As some of you might know, Apple has discontinued it's xServes server as of
january 31st 2011.

We have a server rack with 12 xserves ranging from dual G5's to dual
quand-core xeon lastest generation, 3 xserve-raid and one activeraid 16 TB
disk enclosure. We also use xSan to access a shared file system among the
servers. Services are run from this shared filesystem, spreaded across the
servers. Some LUNs on the fiber channel network are accessed directly and
mounted on a case-by-case basis. Those raid volumes are partitioned with a
GUID partition map, and apple_label type volumes. So they can be mounted by
name with mount_hfs.

We were on the verge on upgrading at least 6 of our server in a separate
location (as a backup-site), with another SAN, same aplication etc. But this
announce has come put a little delay. We do have several servers running
CentOS (about 10 or so), on intel server platform.

Now with this said, I am searching for documentation on operating a SAN
under linux. We are looking at Quantum StorNext FS2 product for the SAN
itselft.

And I am searching info about accessing volumes on a fiber channel network
by label. I know I can label individual ext3 partition, but how to do so on
a raid array via fiber channel ?

Basicly, I search for a linux starter guide to fiber channel storage.

Thanks for any insight.

Nicolas

Ross Walker 11-06-2010 02:27 PM

On Nov 5, 2010, at 7:34 PM, "Nicolas Ross" <rossnick-lists@cybercat.ca> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> As some of you might know, Apple has discontinued it's xServes server as of
> january 31st 2011.
>
> We have a server rack with 12 xserves ranging from dual G5's to dual
> quand-core xeon lastest generation, 3 xserve-raid and one activeraid 16 TB
> disk enclosure. We also use xSan to access a shared file system among the
> servers. Services are run from this shared filesystem, spreaded across the
> servers. Some LUNs on the fiber channel network are accessed directly and
> mounted on a case-by-case basis. Those raid volumes are partitioned with a
> GUID partition map, and apple_label type volumes. So they can be mounted by
> name with mount_hfs.
>
> We were on the verge on upgrading at least 6 of our server in a separate
> location (as a backup-site), with another SAN, same aplication etc. But this
> announce has come put a little delay. We do have several servers running
> CentOS (about 10 or so), on intel server platform.
>

> Now with this said, I am searching for documentation on operating a SAN
> under linux. We are looking at Quantum StorNext FS2 product for the SAN
> itselft.
>
> And I am searching info about accessing volumes on a fiber channel network
> by label. I know I can label individual ext3 partition, but how to do so on
> a raid array via fiber channel ?
>
> Basicly, I search for a linux starter guide to fiber channel storage.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

You could also look at Nexenta to replace the OS on the SAN head servers, load up their RAM, put in SSD drives and make the storage live for another 5 years until you can find an alternative.

As for the other servers, virtualize, virtualize, virtualize. Then you don't really have to worry about the hardware being discontinued any more.

-Ross

Gordon Messmer 11-06-2010 06:03 PM

On 11/05/2010 04:34 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> Now with this said, I am searching for documentation on operating a SAN
> under linux. We are looking at Quantum StorNext FS2 product for the SAN
> itselft.

I'm not sure how much help you'll get from the community. StorNext is a
proprietary product that appears to have its own drivers and management
tools. If you want documentation, ask the vendor for it.

> And I am searching info about accessing volumes on a fiber channel network
> by label. I know I can label individual ext3 partition, but how to do so on
> a raid array via fiber channel ?

Well, on standard SAN products you'll see block devices corresponding to
the volumes that you've exported from the SAN to the host system. You
can create filesystems on them and label those just like you would any
other block device.

"Nicolas Ross" 11-07-2010 10:33 AM

xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question

Thanks,

> On 11/05/2010 04:34 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
>> Now with this said, I am searching for documentation on operating a SAN
>> under linux. We are looking at Quantum StorNext FS2 product for the SAN
>> itselft.
>
> I'm not sure how much help you'll get from the community. StorNext is a
> proprietary product that appears to have its own drivers and management
> tools. If you want documentation, ask the vendor for it.

Is there any other solution for building a SAN under linux ?

John R Pierce 11-07-2010 06:58 PM

On 11/07/10 3:33 AM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> Thanks,
>
>> On 11/05/2010 04:34 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
>>> Now with this said, I am searching for documentation on operating a SAN
>>> under linux. We are looking at Quantum StorNext FS2 product for the SAN
>>> itselft.
>> I'm not sure how much help you'll get from the community. StorNext is a
>> proprietary product that appears to have its own drivers and management
>> tools. If you want documentation, ask the vendor for it.
> Is there any other solution for building a SAN under linux ?

openfiler ... while this supports a full range of NAS (file server)
features, they also have iSCSI block SAN support.

Jay Leafey 11-07-2010 10:16 PM

xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question

Nicolas Ross wrote:

Thanks,