Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default xServes are dead ;-( / SAN Question

On 11/09/2010 12:40 PM, rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:
>> I was reading this thread and wondering how come no one brought up the
>> fact that you can achieve the entire desired feature set just using the
>> components already included in CentOS-5.
> But there is no GFS for OSX, IIRC.

The last comment from Nicolas indicates he's looking at block device
level support from a single remote storage setup.

If you need a filesystem, use whatever you want and whatever works for
your platform

Old 11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/9/10 2:53 AM, rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:

>> Did you look at Nexentastor for this? You might need the commercial
>> version for
>> a fail-over set but I think the basic version is free up to a fairly large
>> size.
>
> 12T, IIRC.
> That's not exactly great IMO.
> You get that with a RAID10 over two populated 16bay Promise chassis.

Ummm, OK - I guess times have changed... Is the commercial pricing reasonable
if you go larger compared to turnkey hardware?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM

> On 11/9/10 2:53 AM, rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:
>>
>>> Did you look at Nexentastor for this? You might need the commercial
>>> version for
>>> a fail-over set but I think the basic version is free up to a fairly
>>> large
>>> size.
>>
>> 12T, IIRC.
>> That's not exactly great IMO.
>> You get that with a RAID10 over two populated 16bay Promise chassis.
>
> Ummm, OK - I guess times have changed... Is the commercial pricing
> reasonable
> if you go larger compared to turnkey hardware?

I guess it depends on your definition of "reasonable" ;-)
The smallest silver-edition license you can buy is 1100 bucks onetime and
65 renewal every year.

Personally, I would really try to find the funding for a "real" SUN
Open/Integrated Storage - even if Oracle have probably hiked the prices
now.
Those S7000s can do everything (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, FC) and very fast.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

> KB, I think the OP is looking for a nice set of userland tools which
> was included in xServer

Pretty much.

Since we were about to purchase about 8 new xserve to build a new xSan on
top of an active raid 16 1 tb disk enclosure as our new production
environement, we are exploring other possibilities, open source (preferably)
or not.

I took a quick look at redhat's GFS, and it seems promising and do pretty
much what xSan can do. I'll dig more into this.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

> Have you looked at Red Hat's GFS? That seems to fit at least a portion of
> your needs (I don't use it, so I don't know all that it does).

I've spent better part of the last day to read documentation on gfs2 on
redhat's site.

My god, that's pretty much what I'm looking for... To the point that I'll
probably be ordering a pair of intel 1u rack servers, 2 lsi fibre channel
card and a fiber switch to begin experimenting with this...

The documentation is very technichal, I'm ok with that, but it seems to miss
some starting point. For instance, there's a part about the required number
of journal to create and the size of those. But I cannot find suggested size
or any thumb-rule for those...

That made my day ;-)

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/09/2010 08:32 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> The documentation is very technichal, I'm ok with that, but it seems to miss
> some starting point. For instance, there's a part about the required number
> of journal to create and the size of those. But I cannot find suggested size
> or any thumb-rule for those...

The linux-cluster mailing list is super friendly, has both developers
and consumers of the entire RHCS & associated packages - and CentOS
friendly I seriously recommend anyone looking to do any sort of work
with this toolchain should be on that list.

- KB

Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
JohnS

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 15:32 -0500, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> > Have you looked at Red Hat's GFS? That seems to fit at least a portion of
> > your needs (I don't use it, so I don't know all that it does).
>
> I've spent better part of the last day to read documentation on gfs2 on
> redhat's site.
>
> My god, that's pretty much what I'm looking for... To the point that I'll
> probably be ordering a pair of intel 1u rack servers, 2 lsi fibre channel
> card and a fiber switch to begin experimenting with this...
>
> The documentation is very technichal, I'm ok with that, but it seems to miss
> some starting point. For instance, there's a part about the required number
> of journal to create and the size of those. But I cannot find suggested size
> or any thumb-rule for those...
>
> That made my day ;-)
----
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/nfscookbook.pdf

Will give you a better view than the Docs them self will. It centers on
NFS but the thing is, it is the basic principles that it has in whole.

John

Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/9/2010 2:32 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
>> Have you looked at Red Hat's GFS? That seems to fit at least a portion of
>> your needs (I don't use it, so I don't know all that it does).
>
> I've spent better part of the last day to read documentation on gfs2 on
> redhat's site.
>
> My god, that's pretty much what I'm looking for... To the point that I'll
> probably be ordering a pair of intel 1u rack servers, 2 lsi fibre channel
> card and a fiber switch to begin experimenting with this...
>
> The documentation is very technichal, I'm ok with that, but it seems to miss
> some starting point. For instance, there's a part about the required number
> of journal to create and the size of those. But I cannot find suggested size
> or any thumb-rule for those...
>
> That made my day ;-)

Do you have to have something that looks exactly like a file system or
could your application use something that's more cloud-database like:
http://www.basho.com/Riak.html
Doesn't seem to have any concept of locking, though.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
"James A. Peltier"

Cost is per TB. Would kill me here when one user occupies 150TB just themselves.