Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Ben McGinnes

Default Nagios installation problem

Hello,
Has anyone managed a successful installation of Nagios using
the RPMForge packages on CentOS 5.5?

It looks like it should have worked, I followed the guides for Fedora
and CentOS here (with appropriate path adjustments):

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart-fedora.html
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios

The SELinux policies look fine (I tend to ignore instructions to
permanently disable SELinux, if I'm not using SELinux then there's no
reason not to return to Slackware):

# semodule -l | grep nagios
nagios 1.1.0
#

The nagios.cfg check gave the all clear:

Reading configuration data...
Read main config file okay...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/objects/commands.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/objects/contacts.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/objects/timeperiods.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/objects/templates.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/objects/localhost.cfg'...
Read object config files okay...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
Checked 8 services.
Checking hosts...
Checked 1 hosts.
Checking host groups...
Checked 1 host groups.
Checking service groups...
Checked 0 service groups.
Checking contacts...
Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
Checked 24 commands.
Checking time periods...
Checked 5 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors: 0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

My adjustment of other config files is minimal, essentially just
setting the email address to deliver notifications to.

Yet every time I try to start the service I get this:

# service nagios start
nagios is stopped
Configuration validation failed [FAILED]

The error appears to be identical to that reported here:

http://forums.meulie.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=6538&start=0

Like the original poster of the thread on that forum, I am able to
start it with "nagios -d /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg" though various web
pages continue to report an unspecified configuration error.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Ben

Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010, Ben McGinnes wrote:

> Hello,
> Has anyone managed a successful installation of Nagios using
> the RPMForge packages on CentOS 5.5? [....]
>
> The SELinux policies look fine (I tend to ignore instructions to
> permanently disable SELinux, if I'm not using SELinux then there's
> no reason not to return to Slackware):

I've had trouble getting Nagios runtime files to work and play well
with SELinux. In particular, the pid file, /var/nagios/nagios.pid, is
created with a generic var_t type rather than the necessary
nagios_var_run_t type, so I've tweaked system policy a bit:

semanage fcontext -a -t nagios_var_run_t "/var/nagios/nagios.pid"

Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Ben McGinnes

On 6/11/10 5:30 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I've had trouble getting Nagios runtime files to work and play well
> with SELinux. In particular, the pid file, /var/nagios/nagios.pid, is
> created with a generic var_t type rather than the necessary
> nagios_var_run_t type, so I've tweaked system policy a bit:
>
> semanage fcontext -a -t nagios_var_run_t "/var/nagios/nagios.pid"

Okay, that works to get the service to start (along with "chcon -t
nagios_var_run_t -R nagios/" while in /var just to be sure). I'm
still getting "Error: Could not read object configuration data!" in
the nagios pages, though. It looks like I'll have to play around with
some of the configuration options and see what happens.

Regards,
Ben