-   -   Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/448001-recycle-bin-disappeared-gnome-centos-5-5-32-bit.html)

Lanny Marcus 11-04-2010 11:08 AM

Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit)

Probably this is due to operator error, The Recycle Bin in GNOME
disappeared, for this CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) Desktop PC. The box is fully
updated.

Is there a command I can use, or another procedure, to get the Recycle
Bin in GNOME working again?

The .trash folder is there.

Incredibly rare that I use the KDE Desktop, but it is also installed
on this box and the Trash folder (like the Recycle Bin on GNOME) is
working perfectly, so this seems to be something I've done to GNOME.

[lanny@dell1602 ~]$ uname -a
Linux dell1602 2.6.18-194.17.4.el5 #1 SMP Mon Oct 25 15:51:07 EDT 2010
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[lanny@dell1602 ~]$

TIA!
Lanny
http://www.magazines-magazine.com/

Akemi Yagi 11-04-2010 02:27 PM

Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit)

> Probably this is due to operator error, The Recycle Bin in GNOME
> disappeared, for this CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) Desktop PC. The box is fully
> updated.
>
> Is there a command I can use, or another procedure, to get the Recycle
> Bin in GNOME working again?
>
> The .trash folder is there.

How did you make it disappear? Revert the change. :-)

It is possible that it is there but not visible on the desktop.
Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor) and run it. Then, go
to apps -> nautilus -> desktop. Make sure trash_icon_visible is
checked.

Akemi

Lanny Marcus 11-05-2010 11:09 AM

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably this is due to operator error, The Recycle Bin in GNOME
>> disappeared, for this CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) Desktop PC. The box is fully
>> updated.
>>
>> Is there a command I can use, or another procedure, to get the Recycle
>> Bin in GNOME working again?
>>
>> The .trash folder is there.
>
> How did you make it disappear? Revert the change. :-)

Ha. I wish I knew how it happened..... This is my daughters box.
Mine was damaged or destroyed, along with other things, during a
recent T storm.

> It is possible that it is there but not visible on the desktop.
> Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor) and run it. Then, go
> to apps -> nautilus -> desktop. Make sure trash_icon_visible is
> checked.

Thank you! I will try that and report back.

Lanny Marcus 11-05-2010 06:49 PM

Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit)

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably this is due to operator error, The Recycle Bin in GNOME
>> disappeared, for this CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) Desktop PC. The box is fully
>> updated.
>>
>> Is there a command I can use, or another procedure, to get the Recycle
>> Bin in GNOME working again?
>>
>> The .trash folder is there.
>
> How did you make it disappear? Revert the change. :-)
>
> It is possible that it is there but not visible on the desktop.
> Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor) and run it. Then, go
> to apps -> nautilus -> desktop. Make sure trash_icon_visible is
> checked.

I installed and ran gconf-editor. The trash-icon-visible was
checked. Anything else I might try, to get the Recycle Bin back onto
the Desktop? TIA!

Akemi Yagi 11-07-2010 03:59 PM

Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit)

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It is possible that it is there but not visible on the desktop.
>> Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor) and run it. Then, go
>> to apps -> nautilus -> desktop. Make sure trash_icon_visible is
>> checked.
>
> I installed and ran *gconf-editor. *The trash-icon-visible was
> checked. Anything else I might try, to get the Recycle Bin back onto
> the Desktop? TIA!

I don't know of any other way to make the Trash icon visible/invisible
in gnome. After making sure the visible option is checked, have you
tried re-login (or restart the computer) ? Also check to see if your
nautilus is not broken:

rpm -V nautilus

Akemi

JohnS 11-07-2010 07:57 PM

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 08:59 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It is possible that it is there but not visible on the desktop.
> >> Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor) and run it. Then, go
> >> to apps -> nautilus -> desktop. Make sure trash_icon_visible is
> >> checked.
> >
> > I installed and ran gconf-editor. The trash-icon-visible was
> > checked. Anything else I might try, to get the Recycle Bin back onto
> > the Desktop? TIA!
>
> I don't know of any other way to make the Trash icon visible/invisible
> in gnome. After making sure the visible option is checked, have you
> tried re-login (or restart the computer) ? Also check to see if your
> nautilus is not broken:
>
> rpm -V nautilus
>
> Akemi
----
Try this on for size: Gnome Only!!!!!

$USER="your_user_name"

cp /usr/share/apps/systemview/trash.desktop
/home/$user/Desktop

ktrash --help-all is interesting also :-)....

John

Bart Schaefer 11-07-2010 08:59 PM

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I installed and ran *gconf-editor. *The trash-icon-visible was
>> > checked. Anything else I might try, to get the Recycle Bin back onto
>> > the Desktop? TIA!
>>
>> I don't know of any other way to make the Trash icon visible/invisible
>> in gnome. After making sure the visible option is checked, have you
>> tried re-login (or restart the computer) ? *Also check to see if your
>> nautilus is not broken:
> ----
> Try this on for size: Gnome Only!!!!!
>
> $USER="your_user_name"
>
> cp /usr/share/apps/systemview/trash.desktop *
> /home/$user/Desktop

($user should be $USER in that last line ... but I'm skeptical of that
suggestion having the correct effect, because I can see the Trash on
my desktop without having a trash.desktop file present in the Desktop
directory.)

Misc. things that come to mind ...

It's possible to rename the Trash icon. Are you sure it's not there
and just called something else?

In gconf-editor, did you try toggling trash-icon-visible to off,
saving, then toggling back to on and saving again?

Install the "cog" package (available from rpmforge) and look at the
"Nautilus" tab. Try toggling the trash icon option from there.

JohnS 11-07-2010 09:31 PM

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 13:59 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> >> I don't know of any other way to make the Trash icon visible/invisible
> >> in gnome. After making sure the visible option is checked, have you
> >> tried re-login (or restart the computer) ? Also check to see if your
> >> nautilus is not broken:
> > ----
> > Try this on for size: Gnome Only!!!!!
> >
> > $USER="your_user_name"
> >
> > cp /usr/share/apps/systemview/trash.desktop
> > /home/$user/Desktop
>
> ($user should be $USER in that last line ... but I'm skeptical of that
> suggestion having the correct effect, because I can see the Trash on
> my desktop without having a trash.desktop file present in the Desktop
> directory.)

What I'm really wondering about is after i posted that is I tried to
delete the trash can on a clean install of a new account and could not
with out Force. Yea I was able to rename it and still use it also. The
reverse works with KDE or used to.

I know it is got to be irritating.. If you right click on the Gnome
Panel Bar Click Add Look in the scroll down box for the trash applet
Click Add then drag it to the desktop may get it back...

Lanny Marcus 11-18-2010 11:21 AM

Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit)

> Probably this is due to operator error, The Recycle Bin in GNOME
> disappeared, for this CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) Desktop PC. The box is fully
> updated.
>
> Is there a command I can use, or another procedure, to get the Recycle
> Bin in GNOME working again?
>
> The .trash folder is there.

Well, I need to remember to look at the .trash folder once in awhile
and empty it. Not sure what I did to create this issue.
Thanks to each of you who replied and for your ideas and suggestions!