-   -   Memtest86+ running time (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/447749-memtest86-running-time.html)

Keith Roberts 11-03-2010 08:47 PM

Memtest86+ running time

I have run one full test and got no errors on the memory
module. Is it worth keeping it running overnight, just to
see if temperature changes will afect the test?

Regards,

Keith

in practice they are not.

"Jack Davies" 11-03-2010 08:49 PM

Memtest86+ running time

It wouldn't harm you to do this?

Jack

--
In theory, theory and practice are the same; in practice they are not.

Les Mikesell 11-03-2010 09:01 PM

Memtest86+ running time

On 11/3/2010 4:47 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I have run one full test and got no errors on the memory
> module. Is it worth keeping it running overnight, just to
> see if temperature changes will afect the test?

Yes, I've seen a machine where it ran over a weekend before catching an
error (which turned out to have corrupted the filesystem randomly too).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Akemi Yagi 11-03-2010 09:03 PM

Memtest86+ running time

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net> wrote:
> I have run one full test and got no errors on the memory
> module. Is it worth keeping it running overnight, just to
> see if temperature changes will afect the test?

I had a system that started crashing randomly. I ran memtest overnight
(about 10 hrs) but it did not report any errors. Next time I extended
the run to 18 hrs or so and finally saw errors. Replacing the RAM
solved the crash problem. So, I would recommend running memtest for
one full day.

Akemi

Keith Roberts 11-03-2010 09:07 PM

Memtest86+ running time