Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Keith Roberts

Default Memtest86+ running time

>> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Bob McConnell wrote:
>>
>> _snip_
>>
>>> And make sure you button the cabinet back up, with all covers in place
>>> and put it back on the rack where it normally sits. Running this test
>>> with the case open or sitting in free air is a waste of time unless that
>>> is how the system usually operates. All memory testing has to be done
>>> under normal working conditions to get the maximum benefit.
>>>
>>> Bob McConnell
>>> N2SPP

Continuing on with my memory testing saga

The Memtest86+ program I'm using is from the UltimateBootCD.

Could it be Memtest86+ 4.10 that is corrupted?

Reason being it locked up after running for 25 minutes.
There were no patterns being written to memory, and no
errors on the screen. The '+' was flashing but that's all.

So I did a warm reboot, and started Memtest86+ again, and
this time it did not even fully load into memory and start
running. I just had an incomplete Memtest86+ screen sitting
there doing nothing. Should have took a picture - sorry.

Next time rebooted it ran fine. Something really weird is
going on here.

I'm now running my version of Memtest86+ (4.00) that I
downloaded and md5sum checked myself. This is the version of
Memtest86+ I originally used to check the memory in 2006
when the memory was purchased.

These recent memory tests were done with the Memtest86+ from
the UBCD, as I could not find the CD I burnt. Dug it out now

Regards,

Keith

Old 11-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Keith Roberts

> Tested each memory module in DDR1 slot for at least 20
> hours.
>
> Tested each slot with the 512MB module for another 20 hours.
> Should I have used the 1GB module for this?

So it appears that each memory module works fine if it's the
only module installed - in whatever slot.

I found this helpfull guide for using Memtest86+:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Memtest86+ website:
http://www.memtest.org/

Memtest86+ Forum:
http://forum.canardpc.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Cannot find a mailing list though.

My machine has been known to freeze on occassions, which I
put down to software issues while running Fedora.

The 2 1GB memory modules are 1 low density and 1 high
density. Both are PC2100.

They work fine on their own, but don't want to work
together.

I'm now running Memtest no. 5 using the 1GB low density
module, and the 512MB module, which is also low density.

I have put a digital multimeter on the power supply, and
overnight while testing it registers ~ 4.97 - 4.98
volts on the 5vdc line, with a stable reading. ie it changes
slowly between those 2 values. So it looks like the PSU is
fine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the mismatched low and
high density memory modules that are the problem?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/12/10 10:46 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:

> I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the mismatched low and
> high density memory modules that are the problem?

that sounds quite likely. some of those modules have two banks on the
single module, and I seriously doubt a system is going to like a single
bank and a dual bank module in a dual channel environment.

I got in the habit a long time ago of *always* using matched memory modules.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Memtest86+ running time
>
> On 11/12/10 10:46 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>> I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the mismatched low and
>> high density memory modules that are the problem?
>
> that sounds quite likely. some of those modules have two banks on the
> single module, and I seriously doubt a system is going to like a single
> bank and a dual bank module in a dual channel environment.
>
> I got in the habit a long time ago of *always* using
> matched memory modules.

I've learnt my lesson now John.

Well at least I won't mix hi and lo density modules again.

Here's the link for my Asrock m/b:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8XE%20R3.0

It does not support dual channel memory.

I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome of this saga

Kind Regards,

KR

Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
John R Pierce

single module, and I seriously doubt a system is going to like a single
bank and a dual bank module in a dual channel environment.

I got in the habit a long time ago of *always* using
matched memory modules.

I've learnt my lesson now John.

Well at least I won't mix hi and lo density modules again.

Here's the link for my Asrock m/b:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8XE%20R3.0

It does not support dual channel memory.

no, but look at these constraints on the memory vs cpu FSB speeds

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7S8XE

CPU
- Socket 462, supporting
AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron

- FSB 400/333/266/200 MHz

Chipset
- SiS®*748

Memory
- DDR non-ECC, un-buffered memory

- DDR400, Max. capacity of system memory: 1GB (FSB
400/333 MHz)*

- DDR333, Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB (FSB
400/333/266/200 MHz)

- DDR266/200, Max. capacity of system memory: 3GB (FSB
333/266/200 MHz)

*According to SiS®*official
document, SiS®*748 chipset
has limitation DDR supports:

CPU at FSB 200MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR400

CPU at FSB 333MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR200

CPU at FSB 400MHz mode, it will NOT support
DDR200/DDR266

I don't know which CPU you have, but, for instance, if its a
400Mhz CPU, you can't use 200/266 memory, and if you're not
using 200/266 memory, you can't have 3 dimms at all.** Your
PC2100 is 266Mhz memory.

And let just toss out that I personally would scrap any
motherboard containing SiS (or VIA) chipsets in a blink if it
was giving me any trouble at all.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Keith Roberts

On 11/12/10 12:21 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, John R Pierce wrote:
> that sounds quite likely. some of those modules have two banks on the
> single module, and I seriously doubt a system is going to like a single
> bank and a dual bank module in a dual channel environment.
>
> I got in the habit a long time ago of *always* using

> matched memory modules.
I've learnt my lesson now John.

Well at least I won't mix hi and lo density modules again.

Here's the link for my Asrock m/b:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8XE%20R3.0

It does not support dual channel memory.

no, but look at these constraints on the memory vs cpu FSB speeds
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7S8XE

*CPU* - Socket 462, supporting AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron
- FSB 400/333/266/200 MHz
*Chipset* - SiS^® 748
*Memory* - DDR non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- DDR400, Max. capacity of system memory: 1GB (FSB 400/333 MHz)*
- DDR333, Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB (FSB 400/333/266/200 MHz)
- DDR266/200, Max. capacity of system memory: 3GB (FSB 333/266/200 MHz)

*According to SiS^® official document, SiS^® 748 chipset has limitation DDR
supports:

CPU at FSB 200MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR400
CPU at FSB 333MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR200
CPU at FSB 400MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR200/DDR266

I don't know which CPU you have, but, for instance, if its a 400Mhz CPU, you
can't use 200/266 memory, and if you're not using 200/266 memory, you can't
have 3 dimms at all. Your PC2100 is 266Mhz memory.

And let just toss out that I personally would scrap any motherboard
containing SiS (or VIA) chipsets in a blink if it was giving me any trouble
at all.

I wanted to install the maximum amount of memory, so I'm
using a 1.3GHz Athlon, with a 133 FSB speed IIRC.

I think the problem is mixing the Hi and Lo density modules.

I've run Memtest86+ for over 40 hours without errors, using
the 1GB & 512MB sticks together.

I'll probably put in the maximum amount of Lo density PC2100
memory, which is 3GB.

Also I'm in the process of moving all my websites onto some
cloud hosting that has 99.99% uptime.

Then I'll just use this machine for development, and ftp
things to the cloud host.

That way my websites will stay online if I get any more
problems with my home based server.

Apologies for my websites being down for so long.

And thanks for all the replies so far.

The ultimate boot cd has a bootable Linux on it with lots of
usefull diagnostic tools on it.

Regards,

Keith

Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, John R Pierce wrote:
>> From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>

>>> I've learnt my lesson now John.
>>>
>>> Well at least I won't mix hi and lo density modules again.
>>>
>>> Here's the link for my Asrock m/b:
>>>
>>> http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8XE%20R3.0
>>>
>>> It does not support dual channel memory.
>>
>> no, but look at these constraints on the memory vs cpu FSB speeds
>> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7S8XE
<snip>
> I wanted to install the maximum amount of memory, so I'm
> using a 1.3GHz Athlon, with a 133 FSB speed IIRC.
>
> I think the problem is mixing the Hi and Lo density modules.
<snip>
May I recommend looking at the docs that tell you what order the DIMMs
need to be put into the board in? If you've got four slots, for example,
I'll bet that it's 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, or maybe 1 and 3, then 2 and 4.
I'd feel safe putting identical DIMMs in each pair, so that the first two
are the bigger ones, and the second pair are smaller. A number of our
servers *require* pairs, so if I start getting a lot of ECC errors, they
send me a pair to replace them.

mark

Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Keith Roberts

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Memtest86+ running time
>
> <snip>
>
> May I recommend looking at the docs that tell you what order the DIMMs
> need to be put into the board in? If you've got four slots, for example,
> I'll bet that it's 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, or maybe 1 and 3, then 2 and 4.
> I'd feel safe putting identical DIMMs in each pair, so that the first two
> are the bigger ones, and the second pair are smaller. A number of our
> servers *require* pairs, so if I start getting a lot of ECC errors, they
> send me a pair to replace them.
>
> mark

Thanks for that Mark.

The board acually only has 3 DIMM slots. Each slot will take
1GB maximum of RAM.

I do understand what you are saying about matching DIMM's
in pairs on a 4 slot board.

Main reasons for choosing this board was:

a) price
b) 5 PCI slots - so plenty of room for adding other stuff.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

---
in practice they are not.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> From: m.roth@5-cent.us

>> <snip>
>>
>> May I recommend looking at the docs that tell you what order the DIMMs
>> need to be put into the board in? If you've got four slots, for example,
>> I'll bet that it's 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, or maybe 1 and 3, then 2 and
>> 4. I'd feel safe putting identical DIMMs in each pair, so that the first
>> two are the bigger ones, and the second pair are smaller. A number of our
>> servers *require* pairs, so if I start getting a lot of ECC errors, they
>> send me a pair to replace them.
>
> Thanks for that Mark.
>
> The board acually only has 3 DIMM slots. Each slot will take
> 1GB maximum of RAM.
>
> I do understand what you are saying about matching DIMM's
> in pairs on a 4 slot board.

I think I'd check the docs anyway - the order that you put DIMMs in may
matter, and it may be happy with 1G,1G,512M, and not 512M, 1G, 1G, or
whatever.

> Main reasons for choosing this board was:
>
> a) price
> b) 5 PCI slots - so plenty of room for adding other stuff.

Well, if it's yours, of course, price. Slots... *sigh*, gonna have to look
at PCI-Express soon....

mark