Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 AM

Default problem sending/recieving mails

Hi all,

I ave setup a CentOS server to act as LAN gateway and also as a
transparent proxy server but all client "passing through" that server
are enable to send or recieve mails.

The mail server is host on the same LAN running mdaemon, both servers
are on private IP block(192.168.0.0/24). Am using cisco router to do
port forwading for mailserver(25,110,143) ports.

If i eliminate CentOS box and direct traffic direct to cisco router
everything works.

My question is why is it when i use CentOS box as LAN gateway clients
are unable to send/receive mails? I ave done nating on that box.

Centos 5.5 full updated.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Hi all,

I ave setup a Fedora server as LAN gateway and also as a transparent
proxy server but all client "passing through" that server are enable to
send or receive mails.

The mail server is hosted on the same LAN running mdaemon, both servers
are on private IP block(192.168.0.0/24). Am using cisco router to do
port forwading for mailserver(25,110,143) ports.

If i eliminate Fedora box and direct traffic from LAN to cisco router
everything works.

My question is why is it when i use Fedora box as LAN gateway clients
are unable to send/receive mails? I ave done nating on that box.

Fodora 12 fully updated(as at 2/11/2010).

Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Andrew Haley

On 11/02/2010 10:14 AM, maina@linuxmail.org wrote:

> I ave setup a Fedora server as LAN gateway and also as a transparent
> proxy server but all client "passing through" that server are enable to
> send or receive mails.
>
> The mail server is hosted on the same LAN running mdaemon, both servers
> are on private IP block(192.168.0.0/24). Am using cisco router to do
> port forwading for mailserver(25,110,143) ports.
>
> If i eliminate Fedora box and direct traffic from LAN to cisco router
> everything works.
>
> My question is why is it when i use Fedora box as LAN gateway clients
> are unable to send/receive mails? I ave done nating on that box.

Start simple. Does telnet mailserver 25 from the clients work?

Andrew.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM

--

No, am unable to telnet either 25 or 110 nor 143

Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 AM
"Simon Billis"

Hi,

> I ave setup a CentOS server to act as LAN gateway and also as a
> transparent proxy server but all client "passing through" that server
> are enable to send or recieve mails.
>
> The mail server is host on the same LAN running mdaemon, both servers
> are on private IP block(192.168.0.0/24). Am using cisco router to do
> port forwading for mailserver(25,110,143) ports.
>
> If i eliminate CentOS box and direct traffic direct to cisco router
> everything works.
>
> My question is why is it when i use CentOS box as LAN gateway clients
> are unable to send/receive mails? I ave done nating on that box.
>
> Centos 5.5 full updated.

Can you provide an ascii art picture of your network setup please with IP
addresses (private ones are fine to show, you can hide the public ones :-)),
and also the routing table on the Centos Box

Thanks

S.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM

> I ave setup a CentOS server to act as LAN gateway and also as a
> transparent proxy server but all client "passing through" that server
> are enable to send or recieve mails.
>
> The mail server is host on the same LAN running mdaemon, both servers
> are on private IP block(192.168.0.0/24). Am using cisco router to do
> port forwading for mailserver(25,110,143) ports.
>
> If i eliminate CentOS box and direct traffic direct to cisco router
> everything works.
>
> My question is why is it when i use CentOS box as LAN gateway clients
> are unable to send/receive mails? I ave done nating on that box.
>
> Centos 5.5 full updated.

Can you provide an ascii art picture of your network setup please with
IP
addresses (private ones are fine to show, you can hide the public ones
:-)),
and also the routing table on the Centos Box

Thanks

S.
--------

Thanks, i will do that when i visit the site coz its a remote site.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Benjamin Donnachie

On 2 Nov 2010, at 11:12, "maina@linuxmail.org" <maina@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Thanks, i will do that when i visit the site coz its a remote site.

Can you ping it? What results do you get from traceroute? And using
the mail service ports?

Ben