Old 11-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Default grub irritants

Todd Denniston wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote, On 11/01/2010 02:14 PM:
>> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
>> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
>> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
>> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a
>> solution to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the
>> default?
>
> Are you sure you did not also have a change from/to Xen at one point in
> the system's life?

Nope. It's a new system, not more than a couple months at most, and no,
it's never had Xen. The other admin and I can't remember who did the deed,
but we installed CentOS 5.5 as a fresh install.
<snip>
> And I have never had a problem getting rid of rhgb, which I do on all most
> all machines I admin.

Yeah, I do it on all the servers... and my home system, and my netbook,
and that's got the Ubuntu remix, and is that *irritating*, since every
time it updates the kernel (too frequently, IMO), it puts the same damn
things *back*.

mark

Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote, On 11/01/2010 02:14 PM:
>>> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
>>> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
>>> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
>>> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a
>>> solution to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the
>>> default?
>>
>> Are you sure you did not also have a change from/to Xen at one point in
>> the system's life?
>>
> Nope. It's a new system, not more than a couple months at most, and no,
> it's never had Xen. The other admin and I can't remember who did the deed,
> but we installed CentOS 5.5 as a fresh install.

In other words, the system in question has never seen non-CentOS kernels?

Could you show us the output returned by:

rpm -qa kernel* | sort

Akemi

Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Todd Denniston wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you sure you did not also have a change from/to Xen at one point in
>>> the system's life?
>>>
>> Nope. It's a new system, not more than a couple months at most, and no,
>> it's never had Xen. The other admin and I can't remember who did the
>> deed, but we installed CentOS 5.5 as a fresh install.
>
> In other words, the system in question has never seen non-CentOS kernels?
>
> Could you show us the output returned by:
>
> rpm -qa kernel* | sort

Sure:
kernel-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.17.1.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
kernel-doc-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5

I really did say it was a new server....

mark

Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Could you show us the output returned by:
>>
>> rpm -qa kernel* | sort
>
> Sure:
> kernel-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-194.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-194.17.1.el5
> kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
> kernel-doc-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
>
> I really did say it was a new server....

OK, now, let's make sure no one has played with /sbin/new-kernel-pkg :

rpm -qi mkinitrd
rpm -V mkinitrd

Akemi

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>>> Could you show us the output returned by:
>>>
>>> rpm -qa kernel* | sort
>>
>> Sure:
>> kernel-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
>> kernel-2.6.18-194.el5
>> kernel-2.6.18-194.17.1.el5
>> kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
>> kernel-doc-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
>>
>> I really did say it was a new server....
>
> OK, now, let's make sure no one has played with /sbin/new-kernel-pkg :
>
> rpm -qi mkinitrd

5.1.19.6-61.el5_5.2,Build Date: Wed 21 Jul 2010 05:41:07 PM EDT

> rpm -V mkinitrd
Comes back saying nothing, rc = 0 (echo $?).

This has been happening for easily a year.

mark