Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Default grub irritants

It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a solution
to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the default?

mark

Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a solution
> to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the default?

You may want to look into /etc/sysconfig/kernel and see what these two
lines say:

UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

Akemi

Old 11-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Todd Denniston

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote, On 11/01/2010 02:14 PM:
> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a solution
> to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the default?
>
> mark

Are you sure you did not also have a change from/to Xen at one point in the system's life?

i.e. /etc/sysconfig/kernel
has
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-xen
instead of
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

or
UPDATEDEFAULT=no

????
I ask because for me it was a system that had once _been_ xen, and was not anymore, which kept
hanging on to old kernels, Really embarrassingly old kernels [ which fully proved to me that yum
will not replace the running kernel ].

And I have never had a problem getting rid of rhgb, which I do on all most all machines I admin.

--
Todd Denniston

Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> It appears that if I do anything to grub.conf, say, take out the rhgb
>> quiet, after every succeding kernel update, I have to manually edit
>> grub.conf, because the kernel update - maybe the post install script? -
>> will set the default to be the previous kernel. Has anyone got a
>> solution to this, so that a kernel update will give the new kernel as the
>> default?
>
> You may want to look into /etc/sysconfig/kernel and see what these two
> lines say:
>
> UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
> DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

Just had to deal with this on one system. Looked at that, they're correct.

mark