Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Robert Heller

Default Best supported motherboard

> ---Executing: recode
> Well it depends on what you want in your new board, workstation vs
> server....I just built 2 machines based on this board....MSI 785G-E53 AM3
> 785G...with amd quad cores....one is acting as a server and centos 5.5
> loaded up just fine with no issues, running KVM with a couple of VM's....I
> would look at the 1055T or 1090T CPU which have 6 cores and would probably
> give you better performance if you want to run 4 or 5 vm's.....the one thing
> that I did was use a pata DVD burner...since I have heard of issues with the
> sata versions and centos....I prefer amd to Intel since I'm always on a very
> limited budget...

I have a SATA DVD burner: Optiarc Model: DVD RW AD-7241S and it works
just fine under CentOS 5.5 on a AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300 system
(ASRock K10N78 motherboard). I did have to add the 'irqpoll' kernel
parameter to get the SATA ports to work.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Basil Kurian

I always prefer Intel products. Does anyone got any* experience on any of these boards ?

> Well it depends on what you want in your new board, workstation vs

> server....I just built 2 machines based on this board....MSI 785G-E53 AM3

> 785G...with amd quad cores....one is acting as a server and centos 5.5

> loaded up just fine with no issues, running KVM with a couple of VM's....I

> would look at the 1055T or 1090T CPU which have 6 cores and would probably

> give you better performance if you want to run 4 or 5 vm's.....the one thing

> that I did was use a pata DVD burner...since I have heard of issues with the

> sata versions and centos....I prefer amd to Intel since I'm always on a very

> limited budget...

I have a SATA DVD burner: Optiarc *Model: DVD RW AD-7241S and it works

just fine under CentOS 5.5 on a AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300 system

(ASRock K10N78 motherboard). *I did have to add the 'irqpoll' kernel

parameter to get the SATA ports to work.

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Basil Kurian <basilkurian@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Which among these three motherboard is the best supported in Linux

> > (Centos/Ubuntu) ?

> > Intel Desktop Board DH55HC [ http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42409 ]

> > Intel Desktop Board DP55WG [ http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=40078 ]

> > Intel Desktop Board DP55KG [

> > http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP55KG/DP55KG-overview.htm]

> > Also which will be a good processor , for using in a desktop PC to run 4 or

> > 5 * Virtual machines concurrently on VirtualBox or VMWare ESX server ?

> > Intel Xeon Processor X3460 [ http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42931]

> > or

> > Intel CoreTM i7-870S [ http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48498 ]

> > --

> > Regards

> > Basil Kurian

> > http://basil.co.nr

> > RSA Public key : gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 41005549

Robert Heller * * * * * * -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com

Deepwoods Software * * * *-- http://www.deepsoft.com/

() *ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail

/ *www.asciiribbon.org * -- against proprietary attachments

Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Basil Kurian

Hi

Which will be a good motherboard for AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black
Edition ? I mean a board which got a lot of performance and features (
with integrated graphics card , SATA 3 and usb 3.0) and best supported
in Linux. Which one will be better Gigabyte or Asus ? It will be nice
if someone having similar experience specify an exact model number

--
Regards

Basil Kurian
http://basilkurian.tk
RSA Public key : gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 41005549

Old 11-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Franz Waldmller

Hi Basil,

Am 2010-11-26 14:47, schrieb Basil Kurian:
> Hi
>
> Which will be a good motherboard for AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black
> Edition ? I mean a board which got a lot of performance and features (
> with integrated graphics card , SATA 3 and usb 3.0) and best supported
> in Linux. Which one will be better Gigabyte or Asus ? It will be nice
> if someone having similar experience specify an exact model number
>
> --
I am using an ASUS M4A89GTD/USB3 which works well with my AMD Phenom II
X4 955.
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/asus-m4a890gtd-pro-usb3-890gx-p1.html

As far as I know the integrated graphics is the best which is available
from AMD right now.
I only considered ASUS boards because of their support of ECC-RAM.

SATA3.0 & USB3.0 are available but I haven't tested them.

Suspend and hibernate do not work proberly but I think this is because I
am using the open-source radeon-drivers.
If you need any benchmarks let me know.
Franz

Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Basil Kurian

Hi Franz

Thanks

Now I have 2 motherboards in my consideration

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=M4A89GTD_P ro-_-13-131-631-_-Product ]

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&Tpk=GA-890GPA ]

Both are almost identical. Now the question Asus or Gigabyte* :-)

Expecting more input from other members

2010/11/26 Franz Waldmller <waldbauernbub@gmx.at>:

> Hi Basil,
>
> Am 2010-11-26 14:47, schrieb Basil Kurian:
>> Hi
>>
>> Which will be a good motherboard for AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black
>> Edition ? I mean a board which got a lot of performance and features (

>> with integrated graphics card , SATA 3 and usb 3.0) and best supported
>> in Linux. Which one will be better Gigabyte or Asus ? It will be nice
>> if someone having similar experience specify an exact model number

>> --
> I am using an ASUS M4A89GTD/USB3 which works well with my AMD Phenom II
> X4 955.
> http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/asus-m4a890gtd-pro-usb3-890gx-p1.html

> As far as I know the integrated graphics is the best which is available
> from AMD right now.
> I only considered ASUS boards because of their support of ECC-RAM.
>
> SATA3.0 & USB3.0 are available but I haven't tested them.

> Suspend and hibernate do not work proberly but I think this is because I
> am using the open-source radeon-drivers.
> If you need any benchmarks let me know.
> Franz

Regards

Basil Kurian
http://basilkurian.tk
RSA Public key : gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 41005549

Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Carlos Alberto Alves

On 11/26/2010 01:45 PM, Basil Kurian wrote:
> Hi Franz
>
> Thanks
>
> Now I have 2 motherboards in my consideration
>
> *ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3* [
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=M4A89GTD_P ro-_-13-131-631-_-Product
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=M4A89GTD_P ro-_-13-131-631-_-Product>
> ]
>
> *GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H* [
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&Tpk=GA-890GPA
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&Tpk=GA-890GPA>
> ]
>

> Both are almost identical. Now the question *Asus* or *Gigabyte* :-)

IMHO, I think Asus is the best choice not only for its specifications,
but because it works with Linux out-of-the-box.
I have not had good moments with Gigabyte MB...

Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Basil Kurian

Hi Franz

Please see below comment in this page http://www.anandtech.com/show/2959

The board does do this weird thing where if you power it off before the
OS has shut it down completely, when you power it back on it thinks that
you have an overclocking problem (probably detects an incomplete
shutdown and assumes bad overclocking) and requires going into the BIOS
and back out to continue the boot. And I don't have any overclocking
enabled at all, I just manually set the timings for my memory because
the defaults were not right.

Does that occurs in your case ?

Also* a sleep issue is mentioned . what about it ?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
R Kimber

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:17:37 +0530
Basil Kurian wrote:

> Which will be a good motherboard for AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black
> Edition ? I mean a board which got a lot of performance and features (
> with integrated graphics card , SATA 3 and usb 3.0) and best supported
> in Linux. Which one will be better Gigabyte or Asus ? It will be nice
> if someone having similar experience specify an exact model number

I have a Gigabyte and am happy with it. I would buy one again.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Franz Waldmller

Hi Basil,

Am 2010-11-26 22:48, schrieb Basil Kurian:
> Hi Franz
>
> Please see below comment in this page http://www.anandtech.com/show/2959
>
> /*The board does do this weird thing where if you power it off before
> the OS has shut it down completely, when you power it back on it thinks
> that you have an overclocking problem (probably detects an incomplete
> shutdown and assumes bad overclocking) and requires going into the BIOS
> and back out to continue the boot. And I don't have any overclocking
> enabled at all, I just manually set the timings for my memory because
> the defaults were not right.*/
>

> Does that occurs in your case ?
No I don't know this problem. It never occurred with my machine. I
didn't set any over clocking or frequencies in the bios. Just enabled
AHCI and the ECC RAM.

> Also a sleep issue is mentioned . what about it ?
I just did some testing for you:
(I never used the sleep modes)

Suspend to RAM and Suspend to Disk don't work with ubuntu 10.04 when usb
3.0 is enabled in the Bios (I am using the 64bit version of ubuntu-10.04.1)
I had to disable the usb 3.0 controller then suspend to disk worked
(with the open source radeon driver)
check out this thread:

installed the proprietary flgrx-driver (from the ubuntu repositories).
suspend to RAM does *not work*
suspend to DISK *does work*

according to this german hardware compatibility list this asus board is
supported out of the box in ubuntu 10.10.
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Hardwaredatenbank/Mainboards#Asus

This board might be a little bit to new for my 10.04 installation - but
I don't mind.

Actually I didn't have that many motherboard to choose from:
I wanted to use ECC-RAM: unless I wanted to by an expensive high end
Intel-CPU I had to choose from AMD.

And ASUS is the only manufacuter who offers consumer mainboard
supporting ECC-memory. I chose the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 because of the
integrated graphics and the SATA II and USB 3.0 support.

If you want to know which memory modules I used I can check it for you
(I found some modules from Kingston which were just a little bit more
expensive than non-ECC modules).

My suspend issues could be related to my software-RAID as well. I don't
know if mdadm can handle suspend to RAM.

Franz

Old 11-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Basil Kurian

Hi Franz

Regarding that overclocking problem , may be Asus had fixed it long ago. Actually I don't need this Sleep facility in my system, since it is not a laptop. I was thinking of using Corsair's RAM with the board. Does ECC RAM improve system performance well ??

2010/11/27 Franz Waldmller <waldbauernbub@gmx.at>

> [...]

> * * supported

> * * *> in Linux. Which one will be better Gigabyte or Asus ? It will be nice

> * * *> if someone having similar experience specify an exact model number

> * * *>

> * * *> --

> * * I am using an ASUS M4A89GTD/USB3 which works well with my AMD Phenom II

> * * X4 955.

> * * http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/asus-m4a890gtd-pro-usb3-890gx-p1.html

> * * As far as I know the integrated graphics is the best which is available

> * * from AMD right now.

> * * I only considered ASUS boards because of their support of ECC-RAM.

> * * SATA3.0 & USB3.0 are available but I haven't tested them.

> * * Suspend and hibernate do not work proberly but I think this is because I

> * * am using the open-source radeon-drivers.

> * * If you need any benchmarks let me know.

Regards

Basil Kurian
http://basilkurian.tk
RSA Public key : gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 41005549