Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Robert Heller

Default CentOS 5.x on Geode LX

> Greetings all-
>
> I'm currently working with CentOS 5.x (various version 5.0 - 5.5)
> attempting to run it on a system based on the AMD Geode LX CPU. There
> are known issues with this CPU running Centos 5, specifically those
> listed here:
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2552
>
> The kernel and system run fine on the Geode LX, but the installer
> detects the CPU as i586. Since there is no i586 kernel package
> available, the installer dies. I've attempted the workaround here:
>
> http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/yum-devel/2009-August/005767.html
>
> It basically tells anaconda the CPU arch is i686. I extracted the
> stage2.img, updated the specified files, then recreated the squashfs
> image. But, it still does not work. Apparently this works on Fedora...

Is the processor an i686 or is in in fact an i586? That is, is the
installer really confused?

> So, does anyone have any thoughts on getting CentOS 5.x to install on
>a Geode LX?

This was posted to the CentOS list back in March of 2009:

--------
As a follow-up, I found the documentation I wrote how to install CentOS
without any installer:

# First, setup your disks to your liking. You can use whatever you want here,
# RAID, LVM, etc... Remember your disk configuration because you'll need it
# to configure grub, menu.lst and fstab. Using RAID, LVM, or others will require
# more configuration than this guide covers. To keep it simple I'm using a
# single disk. An example:

$ fdisk /dev/sda
$ mount /dev/sda3 /target
$ mkdir /target/boot
$ mount /dev/sda1 /target/boot

# Depending on the host OS you're using, you may need to initialize the
rpm db
# on the host OS
$ rpm --initdb

# Use the following command to install the packages. I'll be addressing
this
# command as $rpm.

$ rpm --root /target -i

# Use your shell's tab completion to complete the package filenames. I
# deliberatly left out the versions so these instructions apply to a
wide range
# of versions

# Let's install some basics
$rpm setup basesystem filesystem

# Install bash first, this is needed for post-install scripts
$rpm bash glibc glibc-common termcap libgcc tzdata mktemp libtermcap

# Install some dependencies (this is mainly to keep the next command
smaller)
$rpm grep pcre libstdc++ info ncurses zlib gawk sed ethtool

# Install the bulk of the system
$rpm coreutils libselinux libacl libattr pam audit-libs cracklib-dicts
cracklib libsepol mcstrans libcap chkconfig python db4 openssl readline
bzip2-libs gdbm findutils krb5-libs initscripts util-linux popt udev MAKEDEV
centos-release shadow-utils keyutils-libs iproute sysfsutils SysVinit
net-tools module-init-tools e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs glib2 mingetty
device-mapper sysklogd psmisc centos-release-notes procps libsysfs iputils

# Install package manager
$rpm rpm beecrypt elfutils-libelf rpm-libs sqlite

# Install YUM
$rpm yum python-elementtree rpm-python yum-metadata-parser python-sqlite
expat libxml2 python-urlgrabber m2crypto python-iniparse

# You may also want to install your favorite editor
$rpm nano

# This provides /root with some defaults, like color highlighting on `ls`
$rpm rootfiles

# Right now you have system which you can chroot to, so we can start setting up
# the basics

# Mount directories for chroot operation
$ mount --bind /dev /target/dev
$ mount -t proc none /target/proc
$ mount -t sysfs none /target/sysfs
$ chroot /target

# This constructs /etc/shadow
$ pwconv

# Configure fstab
$ nano -w /etc/fstab

# Installing the kernel. Do this back outside the chroot in the host OS system
$ exit
$rpm kernel mkinitrd cpio device-mapper-multipath dmraid gzip kpartx lvm2 nash
tar less device-mapper-event

# Install the bootloader, grub.
$rpm grub diffutils redhat-logos

# Let's chroot again to configure our bootloader
$ chroot /target

# We start by configuring the bootloader. Open /boot/grub/menu.lst, and
put the
# following there

<<<MENU.LST
timeout 5
default 0

# (0) CentOS
title CentOS
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.el5.img

# If this command gives an error, you can safely ignore this because
it's not
# of importance. What is important is that grub-install copied the right
files
# to /boot/grub that we need for booting.
$ /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda

# Manually install grub if the previous step failed. - means type it in
the grub
# shell
$ grub
$- root (hd0,0)
$- setup (hd0)

# Optional packages
# You may want to install passwd so you can set passwords ;-)
$rpm passwd libuser openldap cyrus-sasl-lib

# These are used to set the keyboard language (loadkeys)
$rpm kbd usermode

# ** Right now you should have a bootable system! Here are some tips to
help you
# through your 1st boot ***

# Most of the system configuration happens in /etc/sysconfig. See

/usr/share/doc/initscripts

for full documentation.

Some quick post-install tips:
* Configure your keyboard in
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
using the KEYTABLE variable

* Configure networking
Take a look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. See ifcfg-lo for an
example.

# This recreates the RPM database. If the host OS you used has a different
# version of db, rpm will complain with
# rpmdb: unable to lock mutex: Invalid argument
$ rpmdb --rebuilddb
------------

This is basically a quick-and-dirty way to cross-install CentOS without
using the installer at all.

You might be able to actually do this if you can manage to get a LiveCD
to boot up and run, so long as you have a second DVD-ROM drive or can
get the networking up and running.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Matthew Scialabba

First time responder so I apologize in advance if I forget some of the mailing list etiquette but...

I had previously installed CentOS 5.5 on a Geode LX platform (the ALIX boards available from PC Engines) and to accomplish this I simply used another PC to install to the compact flash card and modified what I needed to before booting the ALIX PC with it (SDA to HDA mainly).

If the option is available to you that is by far the easiest way to go about it.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

> Is the processor an i686 or is in in fact an i586? That is,
> is the installer really confused?

It is i586. This matters only when executing one of the (few)
instructions peculiar to i686.
ISTR attempting to use LX800 as i686 eventually hits hang conditions,
but that was years ago.

> > So, does anyone have any thoughts on getting CentOS 5.x to
> > install on a Geode LX?

I installed on another machine, and built my own kernel (which allowed
me to claim i586). Then I moved the hard drive to my LX800 HW.

Doing this also allowed me to make irq-0 sharable as required by my
decades-old hardware, to select a 500HZ clock (likewise required by old
hardware), and trim off un-needed options to reduce the size of the
running kernel.

The religious doctrine (of RH) embodied in not supplying full kernel
source made this more difficult, but not impossible.

> This was posted to the CentOS list back in March of 2009:

...much more tedious than installing on "accepted" hardware.