Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
"Bo Lynch"

Default Dell E6410

Just recently bought a Dell E6410 with a Intel® HD Graphics with
ExpressCard with I7-640m processor. Having some issues getting a graphical
env to work. By just the looks of lspci X is wanting to use the VGA
Compatable controller: Intel Corp Core Processor Intergrated graphics
controller.
Everything else is using Intel Corp Series 5/3400 Series Chipset.

Has anyone else had any luck getting similar intel onboard grphics to work?

--
Bo Lynch

Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/10/25 Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com>:
> Just recently bought a Dell E6410 with a Intel® HD Graphics with
> ExpressCard with I7-640m processor. Having some issues getting a graphical
> env to work. By just the looks of lspci X is wanting to use the VGA
> Compatable controller: Intel Corp Core Processor Intergrated graphics
> controller.
> Everything else is using Intel Corp Series 5/3400 Series Chipset.
>
> Has anyone else had any luck getting similar intel onboard grphics to work?

Centos is possibly too antique for that

--
Eero

Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM
R P Herrold

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Bo Lynch wrote:

> Just recently bought a Dell E6410 with a Intel® HD Graphics with
> ExpressCard with I7-640m processor. Having some issues getting a graphical
> env to work. By just the looks of lspci X is wanting to use the VGA
> Compatable controller: Intel Corp Core Processor Intergrated graphics
> controller.
> Everything else is using Intel Corp Series 5/3400 Series Chipset.
>
> Has anyone else had any luck getting similar intel onboard grphics to work?

'Having some issues getting a graphical env to work' is vague
to the point of uselessness.

Useful would be -- I have checked the bug tracker and this
seems like bug ____ ... A lspci -v is ... I see that
upstream , there is bugzilla ___ and I have followed the
debugging protocol for this card outlined several times there

-- Russ herrold

Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
"Bo Lynch"

On Mon, October 25, 2010 3:19 pm, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/10/25 Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com>:
>> Just recently bought a Dell E6410 with a Intel® HD Graphics with
>> ExpressCard with I7-640m processor. Having some issues getting a
>> graphical
>> env to work. By just the looks of lspci X is wanting to use the VGA
>> Compatable controller: Intel Corp Core Processor Intergrated graphics
>> controller.
>> Everything else is using Intel Corp Series 5/3400 Series Chipset.
>>
>> Has anyone else had any luck getting similar intel onboard grphics to
>> work?
>
> Centos is possibly too antique for that
>
> --
> Eero

WOW.....I thought that at least a generic graphics driver would suit just
fine??? Is it something pertaining to this particular intel chipset?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 PM
R P Herrold

> Just recently bought a Dell E6410 with a Intel® HD Graphics with
> ExpressCard with I7-640m processor. Having some issues getting a graphical
> env to work. By just the looks of lspci X is wanting to use the VGA
> Compatable controller: Intel Corp Core Processor Intergrated graphics
> controller.
> Everything else is using Intel Corp Series 5/3400 Series Chipset.
>
> Has anyone else had any luck getting similar intel onboard grphics to work?

onboard graphics in those Core-I* things is in the CPU chip, *not* the
chipset. the chipset provides the graphics output path only. The
graphics is in the CPU chip because the memory controller is also in the
CPU chip.

I believe it uses the IGDNG driver, not i810 or whatever. I have no
idea how well CentOS supports this, you might have better luck on that
laptop with Fedora Latest.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Tony Molloy

On Monday 25 October 2010 20:21:43 Bo Lynch wrote:
> On Mon, October 25, 2010 3:19 pm, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> > 2010/10/25 Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com>:
> >> Just recently bought a Dell E6410 with a Intel® HD Graphics with
> >> ExpressCard with I7-640m processor. Having some issues getting a
> >> graphical
> >> env to work. By just the looks of lspci X is wanting to use the VGA
> >> Compatable controller: Intel Corp Core Processor Intergrated graphics
> >> controller.
> >> Everything else is using Intel Corp Series 5/3400 Series Chipset.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else had any luck getting similar intel onboard grphics to
> >> work?
> >
> > Centos is possibly too antique for that
> >
> > --
> > Eero
>
> WOW.....I thought that at least a generic graphics driver would suit just
> fine??? Is it something pertaining to this particular intel chipset?

I recently had major problems getting Fedora 13 to work on the E6410 ( worked
fine on the E6510 ;-) )

See the thread "Fedora 13 on Dell E6410 screen resolution problem" on the
Fedora Mailing list for a discussion and solution to the problem.

The laptop had a NVidia graphics controller, unlike yours, and the solution
involved using the propritory NVidia drivers.

Tony